Fly Tying
DarrellP

Classic Steelhead fly swap

Hey Flat Rock where did you find the fancy hook holder I would mind having one one them ...

Steve-stabgnid

2 minutes ago, stabgnid said:

Hey Flat Rock where did you find the fancy hook holder I would mind having one one them ...

Steve-stabgnid

Got mine at Bears Den .com, but niveker’s might have more utility...

Mine are going to the mail today 4/28/2020 ..  How do you make pictures smaller !!!!! 

Steve-stabgnid 

95097823_259563625175104_8250184287836438528_n.jpg

95308477_675317459704581_8255995073645248512_n.jpg

95531415_643213449853989_2850234975884673024_n.jpg

3 hours ago, Flat Rock native said:

Nice flock..👍👍🎣🎣😎😎

Thanks, FR.  Though this pattern is nearly 200 years old, it was new to me, so I took one of the rejects for a test drive down at the lake other evening and caught a few sunfish and one crappie (kivver and calicos, as we call them up here in my part of New England), so I know they won't be totally useless.  

2 hours ago, niveker said:

Thanks, FR.  Though this pattern is nearly 200 years old, it was new to me, so I took one of the rejects for a test drive down at the lake other evening and caught a few sunfish and one crappie (kivver and calicos, as we call them up here in my part of New England), so I know they won't be totally useless.  

I will be tying one soon, I keep the original swappings for reference in my prototypes collection. I wish I knew more about the critters that Steelhead feed upon, but I guess all of these will fish like super-cool attractors

Mine will be in the mail tomorrow. They turned into Del Cooper variants. Only a couple red feathers to be found so I had to dye some that turned out a light claret-ish. 

16 hours ago, stabgnid said:

Mine are going to the mail today 4/28/2020 ..  How do you make pictures smaller !!!!! 

Steve-stabgnid 

95097823_259563625175104_8250184287836438528_n.jpg

95308477_675317459704581_8255995073645248512_n.jpg

95531415_643213449853989_2850234975884673024_n.jpg

Those are gorgeous,  Steve.

18 hours ago, stabgnid said:

How do you make pictures smaller !!!!! 

Steve-stabgnid 

If you're using a PC, you can open a picture with "MSPaint".   One of the options in the tool bar at the top is, "Resize".  When you click on that, it allows you to change the values to "Pixels", and then you can reduce the longest dimension to 1000 or less.  600x400 is accepted by ALL websites.  This one will accept much larger sizes.  Especially now, after the remodeling.

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

If you're using a PC, you can open a picture with "MSPaint".   One of the options in the tool bar at the top is, "Resize".  When you click on that, it allows you to change the values to "Pixels", and then you can reduce the longest dimension to 1000 or less.  600x400 is accepted by ALL websites.  This one will accept much larger sizes.  Especially now, after the remodeling.

Thanks Mike !!

Steve-stabgnid

On 4/28/2020 at 5:43 PM, Flat Rock native said:

I will be tying one soon, I keep the original swappings for reference in my prototypes collection. I wish I knew more about the critters that Steelhead feed upon, but I guess all of these will fish like super-cool attractors

They don't really eat much when they return.   Mostly a reaction bite.  Most steelhead tyers talk a lot about "triggers."

I have been told the following by multiple guides.

1.  You have to put the fly in front of them, a foot or two off the bottom, except when they are hitting on top.

2.  Wet fly swing, or Greased line, or indicator nymph.

3.  The lower the water, the smaller and duller the fly.

4.  If they swirl at your fly, try a smaller drab fly.

5.  You need two patterns, a black wing or a white wing.  A dark fly, and a bright one.  In different sizes.

6.  The fly you use doesn't matter.  Conversely, try different styles to give them a different look.

7.  It is a mystery.

8.  These magnificent fish deserve aesthetically beautiful flies, or try a Wooly Bugger or an egg pattern

9.  Try pink, orange or black. Or purple...or

10.  The fishing used to be great

It is a weird subculture 

1 hour ago, DarrellP said:

It is a weird subculture 

Glad Randall Kaufman was part of it, he sure came up with some nice patterns...

Great Lakes steelhead sometimes take egg flies greedily following the salmon runs. also patterns for the emerald shiner, stone flies, bright day bright fly, dark day dark fly, nymphs, mysis shrimp after all they are trout returning to the rivers... cold water you have to put it on there nose. some days they do not want anything. if you think you figured them out everything changes, love the mystery. 

cphubert is right on. Steelhead are not salmon. They might have mating on their mind but they don't spurn nourishment while in the river. On the bed it may just be irritation that drive them to smash a pattern but all other times in the river they will eat. I spent years fishing them on rivers running into Lake Superior and Lake Michigan. I also trolled them for years in the Great Lakes but that's a different situation since they are actively searching out food out there. In the streams I've caught fish on various flies I've bought or been given since I was tying at that point in time. I did tie up a bunch of simple yarn eggs at times but day in and day out our standard bearer was a Mustad 84 hook, #4 with the leader passed through the eye and snelled on the shank of the hook. You'd push that loop up, stick a couple of contrasting colors of yard in there, chartreuse and orange were always reliable, pull the leader to bunch the yarn into a general egg shape and trim a little if necessary. I will admit that after we found out you didn't need smelly and messy spawn bags to catch these fish we still often stuck a soft plastic egg on the hook with the yarn.

Now the salmon are a different story and they are in no way predictable in the river IMO. We'd catch a lot on the egg flies but the next day it would be a small single hook spinner worked through the hard runs. Then we found getting upstream and letting a flatfish with single hook just wobble in the current would aggravate them until they'd smash it. Sight fishing for a lot of people back then in MI meant snagging them or "flossing" them but we found if you could get a fly or streamer in front of them and hold it in place and wait they almost always got irritated and smashed it. I really miss those days and though on smaller water it was fly rod and fly reel with lots of mono leader but on big water it was a fly rod with Shakespeare 1810 underspin reel, affectionately known on the shores as the Silver Bullet.