Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Prison flies

The guy did come, we got a half hour late start, drove an hour and a half to the lake and promptly got stuck in the knee deep drifts. Had to shovel and put on the chains, got off the lake a half hour later and drove all the way back home.

Next time any of you want to be involved in anything like that just let me know. I do them all the time.

I work out of a small engineering office, less than 15 employees so we use the same printer, coffee maker and microwave.  Sunday the company president reached out to alert us than one of us tested positive and that the responsible thing to do is self quarantine for 14 days.  Not a big deal for me I can work from home and have enough work to stay busy for a few weeks.  Our state is pretty much shut down anyway.   I'm fortunate that I can at least walk to a small river behind my home and cast a fly.  The state does stock it with browns near the end of April but it's not heavily fished.  I've been on it for 12 years and only ran into other anglers on 2 occasions.  I'm wondering with all the bars, restaurants and entertainment venues closed if people will discover fishing again?

Well I have a new appreciation for those of you who can sit down and endlessly tie flies. I tie a couple or three at a time before I've had enough and have to go find something else to do. I tied up some wet flies and then painted my anchor after making mods a few weeks ago, finally oiled up a spoon I carved months and months ago and left lay around the shop, and I made something I haven't eaten in 25 years, an onion pie. Not sure why I haven't made one in so long. Wait, now I remember, my kids don't like onion pie but they don't live with me anymore. Kids, they just don't appreciate a nice vidala onion like I do.  I will be eating more in the future. 

wet.jpg

wet1.jpg

anchor2.jpg

spoon.jpg

pie .jpg

Carving spoons is something I did enjoy.  Was a time I always made a Xmas spoon from the tree and gifted it to The Moral Compass the next year.  Since we moved to town and no longer have a wood stove, it seems we have too many wooden spoons and ladles about.  We still have a real Xmas tree but finding it is much easier when you are not looking for the perfect "spoon branch".

I too find spoon carving very enjoyable but as you pointed out there comes a time when you simply don't need another spoon. Your spoon tree was a great idea. Although I don't make many I still find myself looking for the perfect spoon branch when helping my buddy split firewood. I do have splits in the garage that I've saved for a few years for spoons. Maybe I'll knock out another after I get the stitches removed from my hand.

Flies, nice

Anchor, very nice

Spoon, very cool. We sell stuff like that in our store if you have extras you want to wholesale.

Onion pie, not so much. It does look like it was finely done, but I like my onions like I like my soft hackle on a wet fly - sparse. Enjoy.

Thanks for showing us your stuff.

Thought I'd tie up a few midge flies while I was self isolating today as well 🙂

IMG_20200325_155021.jpg

Hook: Filling Mill 31550 #14
Thread: Sheer 14/0 (Black)
Tail: Indian cock neck fibres (Cree)
Body: Superfine dry fly dubbing (Dark tan)
Wing: Antron bodywool (White) split into 2 wings.
Hackle: Mets saddle (Grizzly)

Nice ties all around, but I really like those PT nymphs with the peacock green thorax.  

My motto is onions aren't just for breakfast anymore. 

Those PT's are golden pheasant tail and ice dub. 

Fecki, that's a nice midge.

i have a black pheasant tail that has a really nice green shimmer to it so I tied some black PT wets with a dark green wire and starling hackle.

wet6.jpg

Me,  I’ve learned to love onions marinated Cuban style on top of everything from black beans and rice to ropa viejo (Spanish pot roast...).

It is possible that I’ve been living in the Miami area too long.

On 3/20/2020 at 10:53 PM, Poopdeck said:

Nice Capt Bob! Catching fish that snap reel handles can't be that bad.

Thanks for the invite Pick but one of my many failings are commitments outside of family, friends and career. 

In addition, today during my prison sentence I ran out to pick up wood from the mill man to build my wife a set of closet doors. Our governor closed all non-essential business so the mill milled my job last night but I had to pick it up by noon. It wasn't suppose to be ready for two weeks so I jumped on it. After picking up the wood I went to buy a sheet of plywood to make a jig. As I was carrying the plywood it slipped through my hand and cut the web between my right thumb and index finger like a slow dull saw blade. Ended up going to hospital to get 12 stitches. There goes my plan to build the doors as part of my rehabilitation. By the way the Governors order also means the boat yard is closed so my boat won't be ready next week and I'm hoping to get it by May now.  It's not enough to close the shop to the public, all non-essential businesses are not even allowed on their own premise locked in a back room or shop. 

I managed to tie some more spiders which is about all my stitches can handle at the moment.

spider1.jpg

spider2.jpg

In spite of all the bad news in your post those spiders are alluring lol !!! I don't have any Starling feathers but those things look to be fish getters for sure. I do have some really soft grizzly hackle though, maybe that would work.

Capt. bob, If your talking the spicy pickled onions I'm with you. 

DaveG, I like starling for their diminutive size. Great for smaller flies. 

Dogface, don't you need a hook for snagging?