Fly Tying

2 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Dogface, don't you need a hook for snagging?

The way they take, the rope fibers get caught in their teeth. Easier than trying to pierce bony jaws. 

1 hour ago, dogfacedoc said:

The way they take, the rope fibers get caught in their teeth. Easier than trying to pierce bony jaws. 

Never really figured the net should be tied and cast on the fly 😎😎but guessing it all about the proportions.

I am seeking a fly to catch gar in Nebraska creeks, heard orange is good attractor color, but will they key on the natural baitfish, routinely?

Found giant forceps at automotive source but these fish can keep the fly if they want

D3627A10-54A0-4FFF-87C5-30B76F78D9B1.jpeg

The small Gar we fish in the ‘glades just above brackish areas will eat (or bite) any fly that is the same as the forage you can see them eating.  In our case the flies are small white baitfish patterns.... Getting bites is relatively easy - hooking them on the strike is tough.. We’re only successful when I can get my anglers to do an instant short sharp strip strike with the rod tip pointing right at the fish, right at the bite... Nothing else works and we’re very close to the fish so I can clearly see what happens... I also must have the hook point razor sharp or we’re out of business... For that I use a 4” mill bastard file.

Sticking a garfish with a fly takes some work since there’s very few places a hook can penetrate in a Gar’s  mouth

You'll need to comb those fibers out more, dogfacedoc, but that should get some big 'uns wrapped up.

15 minutes ago, mikechell said:

You'll need to comb those fibers out more, dogfacedoc, but that should get some big 'uns wrapped up.

Yes sir, just a bit easier to keep it manageable before I fish it!

I've spent some time lately planting seeds to get my garden going, and tied up some jigs for the local panfish. 

1179.jpg

Great looking jigs.  With a bit stronger hook every one of those would do fine for bonefish...

Good call tide. Our crappies will be coming up shallow right about now. 

I decided to mess around with quill bodies. Never did quill bodies before but I got to say I like them. They taper all by themselves with great segmentation and sharpies love them.

wet10.jpg

wet11.jpg

I'm gonna need more fly boxes or I'm gonna have to lose a lot of flies this year.

wet12.jpg

wet13.jpg

Don't let the lack of fly boxes slow you down. Those sure are some nice looking quills.

Speaking of the lack of fly boxes.. happened to remember this one I bought in Jacksonville that I broke the second time I used it.. forgot to zip my sling pack on a small okie stream and it fell out and busted on a rock. One side broke off at a weak point on the hinges. A little heat and some extra plastic and I think I'm in business. 

20200329_085422.jpg

On 3/27/2020 at 3:20 PM, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Great looking jigs.  With a bit stronger hook every one of those would do fine for bonefish...

I was thinking something similar but more along the lines of Tamiami Trail for Tarpon and Snook. 

Nice jigs Tidewater.

Here's what I'll be using up on Alligator Alley later on today in the small jig department...  I make these leadheads (for Gulp or plastic tails) and these backcounty bucktail jigs in size 1/8oz on up - for all comers... with a good strong super sharp black nickel hook (1/8oz - 2/0, 1/4oz - 3/0 and on up...).

NDIhWHF.jpg

They're powder coated then baked at 350 for 15 minutes to harden the finish...

46Kydlb.jpg

Once you get comfortable making them - the sky's the limit on color variations - this one is the LBJ (for little brown jig... a winter favorite of mine...).

Pouring and painting jig heads is a fine way to do time. The only problem is I can pour and paint all the jigs those in my boat  and I need for the next year or two in one morning. None the less maybe these week I get out on the stump and melt some lead. 

Do you use a fluid bed? I have a pretty wizbang powder painting system that I have been dialing in for decades. Well maybe not that wizbang but it's great for quick color changes. Perhaps I'll dig it out sometime soon. 

Nice job on the jigs.