Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Looped Zonker

So while this rabbit strip (zonker) style streamer is a relatively simple pattern concept, it still takes some effort to tie correctly and you have to get the proportions just right to make it look how you want it. For instance, a longer tail on this could make a more baitfish style streamer, like a mini baby trout, or tied with a short tail like this it will mimic a sculpin quite perfectly. Either way, doing a dubbing loop, and clipping in strips without the hide attached will help with the cast ability of these flies, and also help (in my opinion) to keep it flowing nicely in the water. Even though these are simple, they are a perfect pattern to be able to fish for trout and other predatory fish in rivers, streams and lakes. Add a sink tip, or even some lead weight to get this down quicker. I made this pattern after seeing a couple small zonker style streamers tied by kurefluer on Instagram. I didn’t come up with this pattern, and being so simple I’m sure someone came up with it before him even. https://instagram.com/kurefluer?igshid=g3er4fl7rwji

http://youtu.be/DI-fR6IvTN8

Go to the actual video on my channel for the list of materials.  I list all the materials there in the description section of each of my videos.  

Another excellent pattern -- your tying videos are the best on YouTube for my money. Production values, run times, music -- all great. I'm really glad you've kept it up and running. When my son wanted to join my recent crayfish swap I sent him to your channel for a pattern, and he found a great one. Thanks for all you do. :)

I copied the address from the video and pasted it into the reply box, after a moment an information bar pops up saying

Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

If you leave that the video embeds if you click the X the video will display as a link.

9 hours ago, Bryon Anderson said:

Another excellent pattern -- your tying videos are the best on YouTube for my money. Production values, run times, music -- all great. I'm really glad you've kept it up and running. When my son wanted to join my recent crayfish swap I sent him to your channel for a pattern, and he found a great one. Thanks for all you do. :)

Thanks man!  I appreciate it!  I do think there are some really really great channels out there though that I feel mine are inferior to.  But I really appreciate that boost of confidence.  Haha! 

8 hours ago, tjm said:

I copied the address from the video and pasted it into the reply box, after a moment an information bar pops up saying

Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

If you leave that the video embeds if you click the X the video will display as a link.

Interesting, mine didn’t do that.  Lol!  I’ll try again on the next one.  Thanks for doing this for me.  I appreciate it.  

Nice fly McFly. How's the durability of bunny hair in a dubbing loop? Does it pull out easily? 

14 hours ago, McFlyLures said:

Interesting, mine didn’t do that.

You might have give it a moment or two, I find this format a bit slower than some others.

On 3/20/2020 at 9:56 PM, Poopdeck said:

Nice fly McFly. How's the durability of bunny hair in a dubbing loop? Does it pull out easily? 

I have not noticed that no.  Seems durable.  Again I use the wax, and I spin it up pretty good. I haven’t had any issues yet of it pulling out.