Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chugbug27

Small hair stacker

Anyone have a favorite hair stacker for the small stuff, #16, 18, 20? Anything that stands out from the crowd? I'm inclined to buy a cheap little one from JS or Wholesale Fly Co unless there's something out there that's meaningfully better.

This is "fly tying" Chug.  If you don't pay top dollar for the tools, it'll make your flies look cheap.

I don't mind them looking cheap. I just don't want them to feel cheap.

Seriously, though, the little hairs in little bunches for my small deer wing flies are flopping around way too much in my own smallest stacker, which truth be told is cheap medium. 

It works ok but it would make me feel better if I could keep them a lot more under control in and out of the stacker. 

I have a brass hair stacker that has a very narrow lumen but find the standard size from doctor slick far easier as it has less static and is just simpler to control the hair. 

Remember with the small flies you can always add extra so just start with a really small pinch. 

42 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

Like this?

I will have to buy one of those someday, just to see how they work, I've always used the kind flytire posted. But then I don't actually  use a lot of stacked  hair.

Yeah ... the $13 one will do just fine, I am sure.

$500.00 ... If someone buys that, they have way too much money and not enough sense.

$Free still sounds best, I am +1 with flytire.... use free stuff, dial in the dimensions, assess your most common sizes,  ... then get some brass or anodized metal in just the sizes you most want to use.  For me that was about .17 on small.  12 or 10 gauge shotgun size on big stuff.  Have a haystack ton of fun

3d print one in any size you want

t725.png?rev=177&s=&v=0

this will work with any size hair

shoehorn_stacker.gif

Stonfo mini stacker

480x480-92454.Jpg

feather craft mini stacker

93437.Jpg

18 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Found this one for $500...

LOL - why in the world would some one spend $500 on one hair stacked, when you could get the whole set for the bargain price of only $350?  

spacer.png

Jeez, are they made from AK’s kidney stones or forged in fire on his personal Weber grill?

I am a fool for a great tool but this is craycray stuff here

B16F9910-9346-4CF3-BFE1-0720448EE0F6.jpeg

I like my Renzetti small. https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/renzetti-hair-stackers.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=bing_shopping

Renzetti Hair Stackers

FIN-ITE 34 you beat me to it. These look pretty cool: https://www.caddisflyshop.com/loon-zippy-hair-stacker.html  I'm thinking of getting one, probably the large but who knows. loon-zippy-hair-stackers-6.png

Kelly Galloup uses one like the loons above but his are out of stock: https://www.slideinn.com/product/swinger-stacker/swinger stacker