Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Storing whiting hackle

Hey guys, I have a few capes and saddles.  Some whiting and in the large packs they now come in that are like 1.5 feet long! Haha!  Anyway, anyone know any storage boxes or anything they fit in?  It seems like you ether gotta get the massive ones, or they are too small to hold them.  Any other suggestions besides the plastic storage boxes would be appreciated also.  Not wanting to spend a fortune either.  And I wanna make sure whatever I use are somewhat able to keep critters out.  

go to walmart/target/lowes/home depot/dollar stores and look around for an "under bed" plastic box that will fit your hackles

box.jpg

Thanks flytier, yeah I guess, I’ve got something like that for my fur, but they are super large the ones I’ve got.  Way larger then the amount of hackle I’ve got.  Yours seems like more a manageable size.  Thanks for the reply 

Go several places office supply and art supply might have something;  there are a hundreds of different kinds shapes and sizes of plastic storage boxes and one will suit you better than all the others.

But because most will either be too short or too large of capacity, I'll suggest that you cut the pelt (from the skin side ) with a razor knife 1/3-2/3 from the head so that the two pieces can stack and the feather ends be about even, so that you then need a box 15" long instead of one 28" long. I only have a dozen or so capes and prefer thinner more compact storage, the old Plano type about 8x15x2 or something like that. 

8 hours ago, dogfacedoc said:

Just fill up the larger ones with more hackle!

Hey if you figure out a way to explain this to the wife then let me know!  Haha!  

8 hours ago, tjm said:

Go several places office supply and art supply might have something;  there are a hundreds of different kinds shapes and sizes of plastic storage boxes and one will suit you better than all the others.

But because most will either be too short or too large of capacity, I'll suggest that you cut the pelt (from the skin side ) with a razor knife 1/3-2/3 from the head so that the two pieces can stack and the feather ends be about even, so that you then need a box 15" long instead of one 28" long. I only have a dozen or so capes and prefer thinner more compact storage, the old Plano type about 8x15x2 or something like that. 

I’m 100% with you on thinner compact storage...  I’m not at all with you on cutting them in half.  Haha!  No way.  I couldn’t bring myself to do that.  Lol

i like the idea of craft stores, good thinking.  I recently picked up bead storage boxes for hooks and beads, and extra flies.  They are made to not loose small items or mix up, perfect for this.  I’ll check Michael's if they are still open...  dang virus!  

Cutting the skin won't waste a single feather, from a tying stand point, it is just exactly  like separating the saddle from the cape; but if the pelts are to look at then no they shouldn't be cut.   I'm a pragmatist and do what makes it work. My hare's mask is in about five pieces because it's easier to work with and stores in a smaller space. I plucked a couple kinds of  pheasant so the body feathers could go in baggies.  But everyone has preferences and should follow them. The under bed blanket box is likely you best bet for that length.

Just tell the wife that hackle is like rabbits.  They breed uncontrollably when they can.

3 hours ago, McFlyLures said:

Hey if you figure out a way to explain this to the wife then let me know!  Haha!  

Mine fishes with me, any time I show her flies she says, "this one is mine?" And takes it for her own flybox. I tell her I have to tie twice as much to stay stocked up. Means I have to buy more :D

3 hours ago, mikechell said:

Just tell the wife that hackle is like rabbits.  They breed uncontrollably when they can.

Haha!  She is a nurse, she knows better.  While I used to sell cars, I don’t think I was a good enough salesman to convince her this one.  Hahaha

1 hour ago, dogfacedoc said:

Mine fishes with me, any time I show her flies she says, "this one is mine?" And takes it for her own flybox. I tell her I have to tie twice as much to stay stocked up. Means I have to buy more :D

Maybe one day I can be as lucky as you.  My wife told me she wants to learn, and wishes she could go out on the rivers with me.  But we have young  kids and no daycare so we have to take turns doing things together.  Maybe when the kids get old enough we can all go as a family.  Oh that’s my dream.  Maybe a nightmare, now that I think about it, I go fishing to have peace and quiet.  Lol!  Hmmmmm

10 hours ago, dogfacedoc said:

Good problem to have🎣🎣

On 3/21/2020 at 11:27 PM, McFlyLures said:

Hey guys, I have a few capes and saddles.  Some whiting and in the large packs they now come in that are like 1.5 feet long! Haha!  Anyway, anyone know any storage boxes or anything they fit in?  It seems like you ether gotta get the massive ones, or they are too small to hold them.  Any other suggestions besides the plastic storage boxes would be appreciated also.  Not wanting to spend a fortune either.  And I wanna make sure whatever I use are somewhat able to keep critters out.  

For long ones...

Try to Retain original packaging, hang on hanger and under plastic recycled, from dry-cleaning, in back of a closet...