Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
knotjoe

In at last...

Registration is opened and I’m finally in!  Been trying for, well, quite some time and it’s nice to see a new layout and green light on the sign-up page.

Regular reader, same name here as on other forums fishing related.  Warmwater guy from Central Indiana (Tippecanoe County) pursuing just about any species in local ponds, creeks, and pits.   

Probably poke around the site functions a bit to see how stuff works and use this thread as a learning pad.  All function bars look kinda the same, but work kinda different in so I'll make any messes here on the more ambitious explorations.

Thanks, gents.  Now I'll confuse myself with pic attempts and sizing of such.

500x336/choose file method/84kb

500x336.JPG.509fa34ef54db65047429d69708ac707.JPG

600x397/choose file method/105kb

600x397.JPG.aa7aad0740983a06c288759e7bc312d8.JPG

700x394/choose file method/156kb

700x394.JPG.17e0ddbdb1e36e0da5da3adcf604b2e6.JPG

Hey Joe,

Does that mono barb hold rubber bodies well?  Neat way to add a barb to the shank.  If, indeed, that's what you're doing there.

5 hours ago, mikechell said:

Hey Joe,

Does that mono barb hold rubber bodies well?  Neat way to add a barb to the shank.  If, indeed, that's what you're doing there.

You got it.  Came to this way back when StrikeKing came out with the first 3x mooshy-gooshy lures and used it a lot on regular plastisol baits as well.  Occasionally for live worm chunks in the past, but it’s main purpose now is to hold the Googly Ball tentacles and Squirmee products on the small fly hooks.

I can see how folks get by tying them on, but I’m not a coldwater troutsman and the attack rate of warmwater panfish and chubs always tugs ‘em down too far before long.  If you’re asking, you know what I mean…bluegill anglers need to be able to change tails frequently.  Precision snipping from gars doesn’t help us there, either.✂️

Easy move if done first before beads and eyes for more working room, the pics explain.  Below is just messing with link to see how this forum works with imgur and what to use codewise.

700x563/Imgur/bbcode

RQgIWMe.jpg

directlink

https://i.imgur.com/RQgIWMe.jpg

700x560/Imgur/bbcode

oroWXoB.jpg

direct link

https://i.imgur.com/oroWXoB.jpg

600x488/Imgur/bbcode

INeZLal.jpg

direct link

https://i.imgur.com/INeZLal.jpg

imagelink

https://imgur.com/INeZLal

Looks like BBCode is the one for those who use Imgur on occasion and wish for displayed photo w/out link clicking.  Little magnifying glass in above menu far right is the "preview" and works for me on (an ancient version of) Safari, at least for checking pic links & function.

fvUbvjs.jpg

Edit-forum is nicely functional and non-confusional!

Welcome to the site from the LATE WWKimba!  I, too, mostly fish lakes and ponds and love bluegill and panfish.  I started as an ultralight/light spin cast fisher about 60+ years ago.  Started tying flies for the ultralight 10 years before I started fly fishing!

If you'd like I'll be happy to send you a couple BULLgill killer flies that were the first fly pattern I ever tied.  Got it from an article in Outdoor Life magazine (circa 1972) and you need No vice, NO  fly tying hook, NO thread, NO hair/fur, NO feathers and NO synthetics to "tie" this pattern!  PM me your address or take a look at the "NEVER find it on my rod SWAP" in  the Swaps section of this forum.  As of this date the swap is still going on so no pictures yet but you can take a look at breambusters comments - I participated in one of his swaps a few weeks before and sent him some as a gift for hosting.  Like i said if you PM me you address I'll be happy to mail you a couple.  And don't worry, I still have some originals from when I first tied them SO MANY YEARS AGO!  I've lost all to questionable knot skills and some not so well done back casts!  I have NEVER worn one out yet!

Again, welcome to  the site.