Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
shoebop

One fly tournament

13 hours ago, shoebop said:

I realized later that I hadn't been specific enough and then I got busy and forgot to edit my post. Anyway,  you guys beat me to it and corrected my error for me. 

On second thought, I withdraw my question.  It was an silly idea in the first place. 

It's OK, we'll still let you play in this sand box.😋

I'm sorry, you asked for pictures and a reason why. I totally missed that part.

Here are pictures for my answers

In Sitka my Non-Pelagic Squid has caught us more fish than any other. Here's a 92 pound halibut my buddy caught last fall.

DSCF4141-XL.jpg

DSCF4136-X2.jpg

DSCF0007.JPG

The Salmon Fork Smolt is a fly that works really well on any river where salmon smolt are a primary baitfish.

DSCF0541.JPG

Here are some smolt on the Salmon Fork of the Black River.

mikes+c+040.jpg

A 38 inch pike caught on the Salmon Fork Smolt.

mikes+c+090.jpg

I guess I'd pick an egg pattern on salmon rivers during a spawn.

mikes+c+085.jpg

mikes+c+101.jpg

every species there hits an egg.

my+c+aniak+078.jpg

2012-06-28_13-28-24_649.jpg

A grayling on a Spruce Bud Worm Moth.

the+flies+049.jpg

A spruce Bud Worm Moth fresh from the mint.

This turned out to be a fun thread. I'm glad you started it.

I think it would be pretty boring if everybody picked the same fly.

And, that is a good job on the mouse mices

23 hours ago, shoebop said:

BWCA Flies for smallmouth? Boundary Waters Fishing Forum

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

It's OK, we'll still let you play in this sand box.😋

Actually, the original poster OP should control his own thread and totally rules, so long as ftf gen policy is followed, but if others hijack your thread, Shoe, they must pay with fish pictures....😎😎

Edited by Flat Rock native
redundant content

2 hours ago, SilverCreek said:

^^^^^ Double Bunny is the answer. It won the Jackson Hole One Fly three straight years in 1992, 1993, and 1994. No other fly won more than one time. In 1994, the double bunny scored more points in the contest than any fly since. After that win, the double bunny was banned from the One Fly Tournament.

https://www.jacksonholeonefly.org/winning-flies

https://flysandguides.com/how-to-tie-scott-sanchezs-double-bunny/

OIP.jpg

It can be a duck chucker to cast at times but has my personal record PR Northern Pike on a barred yellow perch fly, PR Brook Trout on black leach fly, and the PR Smallie was on a Half Bunny creation that stole ideas from Kiwi Muddlers, Guy Turck, and Lee Clark... Sorry, no photos of fish or fly patterns.  

Welcome back shoebop. When I saw one fly tournament I just assumed it was for trout since trout aficionados are the only ones I've heard doing one fly contests. If I were to use just one fly it would be a squirmy wormie or a green weenie because even a moron like me can catch fish on them. 

On 3/24/2020 at 1:20 PM, Flat Rock native said:

And, that is a good job on the mouse mices

Actually, the original poster OP should control his own thread and totally rules, so long as ftf gen policy is followed, but if others hijack your thread, Shoe, they must pay with fish pictures....😎😎

Thanks for the compliment FRN, but I can't take credit for the tie. I had to google it since I don't have a camera worthy of taking a decent photo to post.  Sorry for the deception. 

i thought the main aspect of a one fly contest was multiple aspects that could be removed from the fly    usinga full fly in the am, remove some legs as the day get brighter, remove some foam so it sinks at mid day  then trim it short for a hatch in the pm         sort of a one fly covers all