Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Local river outing

I've always appreciated my local fishery. I can honestly say I don't ever dream about fishing for what the next guy has in their local fishery.  I've never taken a fishing vacation nor do I desire to. Sometimes I think I'm not right in the head but that's how I am. Suckers, bass, walleye, fallfish, shad, stripers, flounder, catfish, trout, pickerel, and pannies are all prevelant in my area and I fish for them all with equal enthusiasm. Like the sucker run begin! 

30 minutes ago, Poopdeck said:

I've always appreciated my local fishery. I can honestly say I don't ever dream about fishing for what the next guy has in their local fishery.  I've never taken a fishing vacation nor do I desire to. Sometimes I think I'm not right in the head but that's how I am. Suckers, bass, walleye, fallfish, shad, stripers, flounder, catfish, trout, pickerel, and pannies are all prevelant in my area and I fish for them all with equal enthusiasm. Like the sucker run begin! 

Fishing gives you an excuse to travel to new places. Of course, "nice fish" aren't as prevalent in my locale as yours...  I was looking forward to going out of state in a few weeks, but this C.V thing put a lid on it for the time being. In the meantime, I'm grateful for my health.

I'm similar to Poopdeck on the "fishing vacation" thing.  Never have, don't want to.

I do get a chance to fish in different places due to my work travel.  I don't, however, "go for" specific species when I travel.  I fish local ponds, creeks and rivers for what ever happens to bite.

Like Poopdeck & Mike, I've never taken a 'fishing' vacation.  However, as my vacations consist of either camping or visiting the shore, I always managed to fish while there.  I could care less what I'm catching, I don't have a 'bucket list', and I don't turn my nose up at catching anything.  Actually, I'm pretty happy even if I don't catch anything. Sometimes all I need is to whip that fly back and forth across the water, and I'm good.    

I take a fishing vacation almost every year....but it's always inside my state :) I'm same way as you are Greg, I don't have much desire to fish other places. Mainly because here in Mi I have so many great opportunities to fish that I could spend the rest of my life fishing a different body of water that offers good fishing and probably never fish them all before I die.

In state fishing don't count as fishing vacations. its just fishing so your good. I consider all of PA and NJ my local water. 

I noticed that in Michigan water front houses ain't so special since there so much water around. 

21 hours ago, mikechell said:

I'm similar to Poopdeck on the "fishing vacation" thing.  Never have, don't want to.

I do get a chance to fish in different places due to my work travel.  I don't, however, "go for" specific species when I travel.  I fish local ponds, creeks and rivers for what ever happens to bite.

Strangely, there's almost always a folk-music or folk-culture event not too far away when my wife and  I arrive at my distant fishing vacation destinations.  What a coincidence! : )

On 3/25/2020 at 8:26 PM, Steeldrifter said:

Yeah some of the white suckers are crazy how big they get. As well as some of the river redhorse that come in with them as well. Got a couple redhorse last year that were up in the 8-10lb range on the fly while trout fishing.

We have some big redhorses here, too. They will sometimes hit a nymph. I tore a pair of waders to hell on a barbwire fence a few years ago chasing a 7-8 pounder downstream thinking I had a huge brown trout on.

I never looked at it as a fishing vacation more as a way of life. Camping (travel trailer now) canoeing, fishing with friends or alone. Never looked down at any fish and thought I did not want to catch that type. Suckers will take you into your backing, shad are poor man's salmon, white perch are a blast on grass shrimp patterns(and a fine breakfast or dinner), I traveled my share with the military and tried to fish if I could. Like to fish and camp from Key West to Labrador and anywhere in-between. Have as much fun with a bluegill as a salmon. I am certainly not a rich or wealthy person, never booked a fishing resort or camp but if I hit the lottery I would fish from the artic circle to Argentina until I went broke or my wife shot me 🙂

13 minutes ago, cphubert said:

I never looked at it as a fishing vacation more as a way of life. Camping (travel trailer now) canoeing, fishing with friends or alone. Never looked down at any fish and thought I did not want to catch that type. Suckers will take you into your backing, shad are poor man's salmon, white perch are a blast on grass shrimp patterns(and a fine breakfast or dinner), I traveled my share with the military and tried to fish if I could. Like to fish and camp from Key West to Labrador and anywhere in-between. Have as much fun with a bluegill as a salmon. I am certainly not a rich or wealthy person, never booked a fishing resort or camp but if I hit the lottery I would fish from the artic circle to Argentina until I went broke or my wife shot me 🙂

I love fly-fishing for wild trout, but I like catching about anything that swims by about any method, too. I love running juglines for catfish, too. I'm not above sitting on the river bank bottom fishing for carp, either, :)

Hey a fish is a fish right? I agree nice to put a bend in the rod! Glad you got out Steve! 

Pickin’