Fly Tying
Michigan Trout Guy

My first hex nymph

Hey guys,

I just got done with my first attempt at tying a hex nymph. I call it the "Clyde Special" because I didn't have any creame-colored dubbing, so I combed my fat white cat Clyde, and used his hair for the body. Here is a pic of Clyde engaged in his favorite activity:

user posted image

Anyway, here is the side view:user posted image

And here is the top view:user posted image

What do you guys think? I welcome any criticism or suggestions. Be gentle biggrin.gif

I think its cool, I also think Clyde needs a bigger bowl, for his fur! You might want to make the back darker, pheasant tail or simmilar for a shell back, over the body.

I think it looks pretty good considering you used cat fur... Let me know how it works in the water, i know cats have alot of oil on there skin.

Just fished with it this morning. It works pretty well in the water. I was worried about the oils myself, but I put about 10 turns of lead wire on the body, and it took it right down.

Didn't catch a fish, unfortunately. I can only stand a couple hours when I have to clear ice off of every single guide about every three casts! mad.gif

I can't wait for spring to come, and to fish my first "real" hatch. I am starting to go crazy seeing snow and cold every day. wallbash.gif It's usually in the 50's or 60's around here at this time of year....or at least the 40's. I was excited today to see predictions of mid-30's! ive_been_ripped.gif

TIME TO MOVE SOUTH!! j_k.gif Oh well, it'll make it that much sweeter when spring finally comes. Thanks for the input guys, keep it comin.

Nice fly...very resourceful...If you are looking for minor adjustments I would put a little more materal near the head and thorax and add a hen hackle palmered.

little fishing tip for the winter months in the great lakes... use chapstick or vaseline on your rod guides to repel the water off of them so they do not freeze. I have also used it on my leader and it helps to keep the ice off as well. Only one problem, if you use vasoline, dont get it on your fly.

-bly