Fly Tying
petelangevin

Replacing a reel handle

Has anyone here done it themselves?  I have a nice little martin classic which is in good shape but needs a new crank handle.   Reel has a strong clicker and is not really beat up.   Has anyone bought a kit from mikesreelrepair up in canada?  Or is anyone in the states selling anything similar?   

Hate to toss the reel in the junk drawer.    

In the event that you're not able to get the needed parts and make a repair... An alternative is to look for that exact reel model on E-Bay (or place similar).... Once you have a replacement the broken reel becomes your parts reel... and that's something I've done on more than one occasion over the years - although never with fly gear... 

My angler last week broke the handle off one of my 10wt reels while fighting a 60lb tarpon.  Fortunately the outfit that makes the reel is within 20 minutes of my house so I'll be able to get it repaired as soon as all the virus shutdowns are over... Thank heavens I had a spare spool for it and it's back in service while waiting to get the first spool repaired.

12 minutes ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

An alternative is to look for that exact reel model on E-Bay (or place similar) 

Good alternative, and what I have done in the past.  It was a cheap old Taico (Pflueger knock off from Japan).  It's a pretty basic reel, but it's what my Dad bought when I first learned to fly fish.  

I have but with scavenged parts and improvisation. You don't say what reel, and it may not matter; this guy has the reputation of being able to fix any reel and he also builds custom reels. I'd give him a phone call, he may have the parts you need in stock or advice on what to do to fix your problem. 

http://www.archuletasreelworks.com/

Its a cheap old martin classic mc56.   I am tempted to order a power handle off ebay and make it work.    Removing the old is easy.,   Martin classics were notorious for poor handle rivets .    What can i say i’m cheap.

1 hour ago, petelangevin said:

Its a cheap old martin classic mc56.   I am tempted to order a power handle off ebay and make it work.    Removing the old is easy.,   Martin classics were notorious for poor handle rivets .    What can i say i’m cheap.

LOL, me too, cheap as a hobo begging for money.  I wouldn't retire it either, nearly all my reels are at least 40 years old.  I love the old Pflueger's especially.  

There used to be a fellow up in Minnesota that had a small wood shop, who used to turn out some really nice stabilized wood handles from all sorts of stained and exotic woods for fly reels.  They weren't cheap but they were beautiful.  I don't know if he's still doing that or what his contact info is but maybe someone here knows of the fellow.  

Great suggestion,  i have a buddy at work who makes pens,   I am sure he could spin me up something,    Anyone know what that insert that is slotted on one end for a screw driver and has a female thread on the opposite is called?    Could be in those parts bins at the big orange home improvement store.