Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
denduke

Gurglers

Those are well done.  I tied some for bass and saltwater.  Yours look better.

On 4/1/2020 at 4:39 PM, DarrellP said:

Kids hair from DollarTree

IMG-4456.jpg

Mad Duck,

Nice job!

How do you get that multi-hump effect w/o messing up the body materials underneath? 

Thanks,

Rocco

I use an ice chenille for the body. I tie in the tail material, then the chenille, then wrap the chenille up to just behind the eye, then tie it off. I start a wrap just forward of the bend of the hook and tie in the foam, then a set of legs a tie it off. I move up a little and tie in again. I bend the foam to where it covers the legs. I smush the foam down and around the hook and wrap it a couple of times, then tie in the smaller set of legs. Depending on the size of the hook and profile, I will tie off and make one more hump, tie off and tie on a hackle.Basically I tie in several different times and places. This keeps the segments straight and keeps the foam from rolling on the hook.

Mad Duck, those look great! 

Mine are more traditional, but I like using Estaz for the  underbody & hackle tails. 3 mm foam.

100_4200.JPG

100_4201.JPG

100_4202.JPG

100_4203.JPG

I tied a number of large Gurglers for Barramundi in the last few months and used them with great success in Australia last month.  They were tied on 4/0 or 5/0 beast hooks using 4mm foam.  Key components were the addition of mini rattles along the hook shank and the use of Fettuccine foam for the legs.  Additionally, I tie all my gurglers with Finn Racoon tails.  It is extremely durable and lifelike in the water.

DAR50309.JPG

DAR50306.JPG

My first batch of gurglers like that did not float well at all. They still catch fish,but I wasn't getting the topwater action I was expecting. After looking at the flies, I realized that I had compressed the foam too much,negating the buoyancy of the foam. On this batch, I made the segments so the foam had a little airspace giving the fly more buoyancy. They now float like corks and have a very nice action on the water.

You can tie on the foam at the front and totally wrap over it to the back making a round body before the Estaz wraps, hackle to increase float ability.   

I wasn't sure whether this fits as a gurgler or a popper.  It's one of my favorite top water.   I guess it's a cross over.  With short strips it's more of a popper,  fished with a steady retrieve it has an action similar to a jitter bug;

P4030502a.jpg

P4030504a.jpg

P4030506.JPG

Philly you do some amazing things with foam.  I tried the diver and gave up...

Here’s yours

363551-FE-70-B0-472-E-B488-0-F04325-EDE1