Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Movies while distancing

Figure with so many of us trying our best to not be around other people for a bit how about some movie suggestions on movies maybe you have watched recently that were good. Because I'm sure we are all looking for things to do while inside at the moment.

Last night I watched a really good one on Netflix called The Highwaymen. Stared Kevin Costner and Woody Harrelson and was basically a true account of the two Texas Rangers that took down Bonnie & Clyde. Was really an excellent film and I'm surprised it didn't get a bit more press than it has. If you get a chance give it a watch, well worth it IMO.

Not a movie but a docuseries on netflix. Tiger King. Absolutely insane big cat owners, meth addicts and gold diggers in a murder for hire plot :o

I've got a good list of movies. Some cult favorites, most famous classics that I doubt anyone hasn't watched. 

The Perks of Being a Wallflower

The Godfather

Life of Pi

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Blade Runner

Forrest Gump

The Breakfast Club

I, Robot

Men In Black (1, 2, and 3)

The Terminator

And the best:

Alita: Battle Angel. Not the terrible anime or the manga, it's James Cameron's live action film.

Want more? I've got a bunch.

SD, I thought  highwayman was just OK. Not Costner's best work. Woody harrelson was excellent though. 

Dogface, since it's raining this weekend I'm settling into tiger king. I've heard it's great and I'm looking forward to watching it. 

I might even pay for 1917. Anyone seen that yet, before I pay. 

11 hours ago, samsonboi said:

Blade Runner

I actually just watched that finally for the very first time 3 nights ago (the original with Harrison Ford) Somehow over the years I never got around to watching it. I really didn't care all that much for it to be honest. I know it's said to be such a great film for its time and such, and the visuals for sure were great for 1982, but I really felt the story was just blah.

Greg I know what you mean about not Costner's best work. I really liked the movie, and I think Costner was "good" but you are right not great. But I think what I really liked most about the movie was the way they didn't really show Bonnie & Clyde in detail at all for the whole film till the very end. Basically just showing them from a distance or a quick blurred image when they killed someone during the film. That kind'a gave them a whole shroud of mystery through the movie which I thought was pretty cool.

They Shall Not Grow Old is a WWI documentary from colorized period film. The director is a good friend of my stepdad so we went to one of the premiers and it was amazing.

5 hours ago, chugbug27 said:

Poop, you seen The Americans yet? 

Never heard of it but I googled it. What's not to like, good vs. evil, democracy vs. communism, my hero Ronald Reagan. It's on the list. 

I loved "Blade Runner".  The portrayal of future city life, the possibilities with gene engineering and robotics ... perfect futurism.   "I, RObot" is a great movie, too.

Along those lines, realistic futures for mankind ... "Soylent Green" ... "Silent Running" ... and "THX 1138".  All are great, dystopian future society.

For shear video fun ... "Princess Bride" and "Stardust"

I haven't seen "Alita" yet, but I am eager to see it as soon as I can.

"The Incredibles" (1 and 2) ... "Frozen" ... "Tangled" ... "The Secret Life of Pets" (I haven't seen 2) ... "Despicable Me" (all 3, although "3" is so so) are all wonderfully funny and enjoyable animated movies.  (Yes, "Frozen" ... don't know it 'til you've watched it.)

And for intensity ... the entire "Alien" series and "Predator" series including all offshoots and intersecting movies.

3 minutes ago, mikechell said:

"Princess Bride"

I actually might watch that tonight or tomorrow. That's another "classic" that I have yet to see. I've seen most the well known films but there are a few that I just never got around to watching so figure now is a good time to do so.

Frozen....FROZEN?? You just like it because there's a lot of BLUE in that one. Hey Mike.....let it go...let it go! lol

5 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

But I think what I really liked most about the movie was the way they didn't really show Bonnie & Clyde in detail at all for the whole film till the very end. Basically just showing them from a distance or a quick blurred image when they killed someone during the film. That kind'a gave them a whole shroud of mystery through the movie which I thought was pretty cool.

That probably saved the movie for me. Being the law and order type, I did like how the movie was about Frank and Manny and not Bonnie and Clyde. 

Well I parted with 6 bucks and rented 1917. A solid 7.5 out of 10 rating. I found it to be very good and it kept me captivated to where I didn't pause it to get a snack or use the bathroom until the movie ended. Worth the 6 bucks. 

Oh ... and the whole set of Marvel Movies.  Can't forget those. 

Wife and I just finished watching "Spiderman: Far From Home".   Excellent, with lots of the humor the first few films had.