Fly Tying
KevinD62

Stimulating the economy

1 hour ago, Steeldrifter said:

I'm in the same boat as you Bob (pun intended ;) ) Even though I'm a legit business and have been for the past 18 yrs or so, being the owner/sole worker I won't qualify for anything at all. And business is way down for sure. Normally I do 6-8 rods per month but since this started I have had exactly one rod order for the past month now. People just don't spend money when they can't work themselves.

Yep, we are all in the same boat.

46 minutes ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Yep, hang in there.  You have a good reputation and the business will return... just not right away.

Guides in the Everglades have a strange set of seasons.  In summer, as our fishing gets better and better,  the customers get fewer and fewer... In truth you need to a tough hombre since it’s like fishing in the Amazon with clouds of mosquitoes, hot and very moist climate and bad thunderstorms every afternoon. When the weather finally moderates in the fall - it’s November but with “back to school” , both hunting and football season we only get a modest number of bookings.  Come December we see the first of the visitors and things begin to get moving.  All winter long we’ll have anglers and pretty good fishing that really heats up as we move into spring when we’re booked solid all the way into June.  Normally in April I rarely have a day off...

But not this year...

Yep, since we have a lot of time, we are stocking up on our stock knives for the shop and other stuff for the store, making repairs and necessary maintenance to equipment and taking care of all the things we were putting off while we were busy.

I guess you're doing the same Bob, working on the boat/boats and motors, refurbishing rods and reels and stocking up on flies and lures so when people start showing up again, you'll be ready.

I'll be okay for a bit. The good thing about age is for most people with common sense, it also comes with wisdom. So these days I always make sure I have a solid 3 months worth of bill money in my account just in case something unforeseen were to happen.  Might be a bit tighter for a month or two but I'll take care of myself and get through it.

3 minutes ago, Steeldrifter said:

I'll be okay for a bit. The good thing about age is for most people with common sense, it also comes with wisdom. So these days I always make sure I have a solid 3 months worth of bill money in my account just in case something unforeseen were to happen.  Might be a bit tighter for a month or two but I'll take care of myself and get through it.

I think I will order another rod, will you take a check? 😃 Just kidding, my wife won't let me order another rod. Not until our reserve starts to go back up again. I can send you some moose meat if you get too low.😅

15 hours ago, vicente said:

Make it into jerky.

Well, if the electricity goes out, I'll have to. Then I could send it any where. My plan is to do that with all of the caribou for survival rations on my next long range Brooks Range walks.

Mike I’ll have to use that “evolved” line the next time I get called out for straying off topic on this forum or some other...

I stimulated the economy today. I finally got my boat back. I was happy to give the boat guy his money and he was happy to take it.  We didn't even wear gloves and masks during the transaction. I did sanitize my hands after the interaction and before touching my face and so did he so no virus spread there. In my parts, a suppose-it hotspot epicenter, people are fed up with the pointless shutdown as the windswept death predictions are fizzling faster then the politicians can say the computer model was wrong because they didn't have the proper data. Go figure. Now the boat will sit in my driveway until the ramps open. Until then I will spend my time angling at the only places still open alongside more anglers then I have fished next to in a combined 50 years of fishing . Yep, great plan carpetbaggers! 

15 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

I stimulated the economy today. I finally got my boat back. I was happy to give the boat guy his money and he was happy to take it.  We didn't even wear gloves and masks during the transaction. I did sanitize my hands after the interaction and before touching my face and so did he so no virus spread there. In my parts, a suppose-it hotspot epicenter, people are fed up with the pointless shutdown as the windswept death predictions are fizzling faster then the politicians can say the computer model was wrong because they didn't have the proper data. Go figure. Now the boat will sit in my driveway until the ramps open. Until then I will spend my time angling at the only places still open alongside more anglers then I have fished next to in a combined 50 years of fishing . Yep, great plan carpetbaggers! 

Glad you got your boat back.

Our governor has had the sense not to close any parks or ramps. There would be hell to pay. They did close our spring resident bear hunt with the non-resident hunt. That lasted one day.

We have several places where we could launch at natural spots that are not in the parks or developed ramps. You guys got any of those? We also have lots of waterfront land owners that would let us launch on private launches say for a bottle of Jameson or something. You know anybody like that? You could stimulate his economy and he could stimulate yours.