Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Knapp

In need of brown Squirmies.

I am in need of some brown or light brown squirmy wormies for a project. I need just a few. My local store doesn't have any.

I'm willing to trade almost anything else fly-tying related. I especially have a lot of caribou, moose, deer, elk, buffalo, musk ox, red fox and raccoon hair.

Will BOLO, have some nice tan MOP fly bodies, but same color Squirmy, would be nice... of course they may have Gulp or other major brand plastic worms in something close to tan

Feather Craft fly fishing in St Louis has miniature squirms in tan and brown-olive.  Not sure how miniature they are.  Check their website and call yhem.  They have always been helpful.

1 hour ago, DarrellP said:

Feather Craft fly fishing in St Louis has miniature squirms in tan and brown-olive.  Not sure how miniature they are. 

I prefer the FeatherCraft as well.  Relative size to the typical Googly Ball tentacles, short green & orange are Googly pinch-offs.

brown.jpg.ad140abfad46d4c0b68d1939ec1fbcf3.jpg

Personally, I like the FeatherCraft offerings by Spirit River and think they are superior to the original (Caster's Squirmito/Hareline Dubbin') due to form.  Hareline's product has a lot of memory and kinks to it, FeaterCraft is perfectly limp and squishy.  If allowed, here's a link to a comparison thread I did elsewhere on attributes.  Wherever you get it, look for Spirit River brand, they're tougher with better action underwater.

https://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/warmwater-fly-fishing/584283-squirmy-worm-materials-warmwater-ffers.html

Thank you all very much for all the information. There seems to be quite a bit out there.

Thanks for the comparison Knotjoe. I too like the limp ones better.

I suppose I will have to order some of these if I can find nobody wanting to trade. I was trying not to have to pay as much for shipping as the worms themselves cost. Also, I really don't need as much as what's in one of these packages. I really just need four strands of the stuff.

Anyway, thank you everybody, You are all so helpful.

39 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Also, I really don't need as much as what's in one of these packages. I really just need four strands of the stuff.

I’ve said this many times over the years, yet to be right when it comes to tying materials.

Given what I’ve seen of your work, you’ll find a use and then wish for more.👍

(I’m looking forward to it)

15 minutes ago, knotjoe said:

I’ve said this many times over the years, yet to be right when it comes to tying materials.

Given what I’ve seen of your work, you’ll find a use and then wish for more.👍

(I’m looking forward to it)

U R probably right.

Well, I just ordered some from eBay. $2.99, free shipping.  Unfortunately I could only get the wavy ones.

Thanks everybody

$.02.  The Squrmmy worm stuff I got that the guide on Guadalupe River was using was tan, purple and other colors but it was extremely soft to the point the river current and catching and casting would tear it off. The kids toy stuff lots tougher but never seen it in natural colors always been bright.  Don’t have package...wasn’t Wapsi or FeatherCraft. I think it had a rabbit on it.   Sorry. 

So you gotta work two together to make a worm.  And tie a wad of em on and very carefully melt the ends to make egg balls  

E0168-B7-C-9-F63-4-FA1-95-FB-6-DD9-D932-

IMG-3091.jpg

Thanks for that, this is for another project. I got a lotta that stuff. Nice flies. I do need brown and I hope it doesn't tear apart when it's casted.

1 hour ago, denduke said:

The kids toy stuff lots tougher but never seen it in natural colors always been bright.  Don’t have package...wasn’t Wapsi or FeatherCraft. I think it had a rabbit on it.   Sorry. 

The Googly balls are definitely the toughest of all, I'll join you in wishing they made them in more subtle colors.  The package you had with the rabbit, it's the Hareline Dubbin' (original) version and it sucks on durability.  Attributes vary a bit by color with them, I chucked all mine and kept the Spirit River.  

Egg balls?  I can see it, but the physical form sure resembles a mulberry or similar snack for a grass carp.  Just looks like the perfect kind of offering to plop in the midst of a feeding pod.  Soft, too, which is always a plus.

Obnoxious as the colors are on Googlys, the bright green has proven to be a killer on muddy water pond 'gills and cloudy day bass.  More of a natural tone guy on flies, but the bright greenie wins the argument in some of my waters.

I was looking for brown ones for a little brown wood frog imitation popper. They are the only frog we have in Alaska. I may do it with felt legs instead of wormy legs.