Fly Tying
cphubert

We lost another brother, Dave S Brandt

Dave Brandt passed his information can be found on the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum website. I have had the pleasure to tie and fish with Dave he was a true gentleman of the fly fishing and tying community. A Catskill Guild past President and member who always had the time for people interested in the sport. From his past guide experience in Labrador or instructor at the Wulff School he had lots of yarns, but you had to watch out for the twinkle in his eye's if you played cards or pool with him. Dave was a fixture at the Fly Tying Symposium and the Fly Fishing Shows encouraging and mentoring most everyone that asked- all I asked was where to fish in the Catskills? He took me a few places and seemed to know everyone on the river. Rest in Peace Dave, a tied and true gentleman.

Thank you for sharing this.  I met Dave Brant at a Fly Fishing show in Charlotte about 16 years ago.  He took the time and tied a beautiful Catskill style fly, explaining steps carefully and inviting questions.  I saw him for the next three years and he always had several people at his table watching and learning.  Seemed to be a really good guy, and those kind of people are sorely missed. 

I had the privilege of taking a Catskill style tying class from Dave at the NW Fly Tying Expo in Oregon a couple of years ago.  We were also in the same hotel and he would be there in the mornings telling stories over breakfast.  He was one of the nicest men I ever met.  RIP Dave

9 hours ago, Steeldrifter said:

Was Dave a member here? Not that it makes a difference, but just didn't know if I knew him or not. My deepest condolence to his family for sure.

No, I don't think he was. He was very well known and highly respected in Catskill circles.