Fly Tying
flytire

April Flies From the Vise

As per my buddy's suggestion. The Western March Brown with a dark dun collar. Size 22.

PHOTO_20200428_073226.jpg

13 hours ago, Flat Rock native said:

Just WoW... 

Thanks Flat Rock native.

12 hours ago, Mogup said:

Pretty awesome on a 22 Sandan.

Thanks Mogup. You're wrapping some great stuff too. That Hendrickson is fantastic.  Perfect timing too as I've re-reading about Art Flick. 

Some more from Schollmeyer and Leeson. The first is a pattern originated by Swisher and Richarson called a Simple Swimming Caddis Pupa. The pattern calls for wing buds created using a marker on the body which I omitted (actually I forgot to do the wing bud until after I took the picture). The second is a Tunkwanamid.

Simple Swimming Caddis Pupa 2.jpg

Tunkwanamid 2.jpg

17 minutes ago, Landon P said:

Were did you get them fancy holders?

They are electrical test clips. You can get them online. I think I got these on Ebay.

TS nice flies !  Is that your library in the background ?  If it is I would imagine it has a shelf or two dedicated to angling.

35 minutes ago, Mogup said:

TS nice flies !  Is that your library in the background ?  If it is I would imagine it has a shelf or two dedicated to angling.

Yes, it is part of my library. I do have about two shelves on one bookshelf devoted to fly fishing and tying. Although that section is still growing...

20200410_152504.jpg

On 4/28/2020 at 9:12 AM, Sandan said:

As per my buddy's suggestion. The Western March Brown with a dark dun collar. Size 22.

PHOTO_20200428_073226.jpg

Very nice but I want to know how you fine fellows can see those size 22 dries at a distance in order to fish them ?  

4 minutes ago, robow7 said:

Very nice but I want to know how you fine fellows can see those size 22 dries at a distance in order to fish them ?  

Thank you. On flatter water it's not too bad if you keep your casts short.  Usually when I (we) are fishing those tiny sizes we tie 'em on behind an indicator fly.  For instance, maybe an 18 or 20 blue wing. or caddis if they are on the water, then about 13-15" behind that the 22,24, etc. gets tied on. Sometimes, though I'll tie 'em parachute with some hi-viz post which helps too.