Fly Tying
flytire

April Flies From the Vise

Okay ... TSM ... you're gonna have to explain how you did that.  Is the tube on the bottom just tied in at the back and then at the front after tying in the zonker strip?

40 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Okay ... TSM ... you're gonna have to explain how you did that.  Is the tube on the bottom just tied in at the back and then at the front after tying in the zonker strip?

No, it is a pearl mylar cord. You pull out the ropey center and are left with a mylar tube. Fray one end then slide the tube over thie e hook (frayed end first). Tie it down good and tight. Then tie on the zonker strip, pull the zonker strip back and make some tight wraps. Whip finish at that spot, cut your thread and reattach at the front. You will have to pull the mylar tube back a little. Here is a video:Zonker 

13A-1080.jpg

13A

Category - Stonefly Nymph

Hook -Mustad R74-9672
Thread - Brown
Tail - 2 brown hackle tips (original) or brown biots (depicted)
Shell back – Mallard fibers
Ribbing – 1 strand of peacock herl
Body – Brown uni stretch
Antenna - 2 moose body hairs
Collar - Hungarian partridge

Got an order in from jstockard. Making an effort to focus on dries for a bit. First time tying with elk hair. I usually just use deer hair from one I harvested in central TX. #10 to #18 emerging caddis. Proportions just a bit off on #12 and #18. 

20200417_163505.jpg

Some Gold Rib Hairs Ear Nymphs for the nymph/buzzer swap. The hair's ear is a rustic, old traditional fly. These are tied the traditional way with hair's mask tail and dubbing. My only departure from the traditional I think is the clear uv resin I put on the wing case. The very first recipes for this fly used gold wire for the ribbing but my copy of the Orvis Index calls for fine gold Mylar so that's what I used.

DSCF5161-X3.jpg

Here are the GRHE nymphs and the PTNs (Pheasant Tail Nymphs) I tied for the swap.

DSCF5166-X4.jpg

1 hour ago, Landon P said:

I am a 14 who loves fly tying!

Wait, your 14 years old. See, now you're making me mad 😁😀.

Of course I'm only teasing. You are doing very good for a 14 year old. Kudos to you my friend. Keep up the good work.

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

Wait, your 14 years old. See, now you're making me mad 😁😀.

Of course I'm only teasing. You are doing very good for a 14 year old. Kudos to you my friend. Keep up the good work.

It is good people like you who give me motivation to continue on! Thank you!!