Fly Tying
flytire

April Flies From the Vise

More from Schollmeyer and Leeson. The first is a left-handed shortstop tied in sizes 14 and 18. The second is a parachute puff emerger tied in sizes 14 and 16 (spoiler alert: posting a cdc oiler puff is slightly difficult. Wrapping hackle around a posted oiler puff is also slightly difficult.)

Left-handed Shortstop 5.jpg

Parachute Puff Emerger 5.jpg

12 hours ago, Mogup said:

Nice Rex.  Floss twists  just like thread when wrapping. 

Thanks, I agree completely.  The black went on OK, it's the under body that needs work.  This one started as a practice for building a tapered under body with the intention of cutting it off and never finishing the fly.   Instead, I ended up finishing the fly.   Since I wasn't planning to finish a fly, I was too sloppy making the under body smooth.   I am glad that I did finish the fly because I learned a lot more by tying the full fly.

Next time, in addition to  making the under body smoother and more even, I have a low spot in front of the tail, and I need to move the thickest portion of the body further away from the eye (the front taper on this one gets hidden by the wing and throat).   My original goal was an "Oatman" style body shape.   

That is one thing I love about fly tying, there is always a new technique or pattern learn.   Of course, learning how to do the technique is just the start, then you have to learn how to make it look good.  :)

Missing Link Yellow Sally

49819883616_07eda5d831_c.jpg

49819342408_cf4b11eabf_c.jpg

49819342298_e7c7e67d49_c.jpg

49820193732_61cac7c2c4_c.jpg

hook - Dai Riki 305 #14
tag - UTC 140 fluoro orange
thread - UTC 70 yellow
rib - Midge Flash pearl
abdomen - tying thread
thorax - dubbing yellow
underwing - Congo Hair cream
wing/head - deer hair bleached
hackle - ginger

Regards,
Scott

Thanks Rockworm.  Believe it or not that’s  just thread !   Pearsall’s gossamer silk. Color green. Peacock thorax and the outer covert feather of

a red grouse.

Another Royal Wulff, this time with Keough hackle (a darker brown) (peacock courtesy of Flytire). 

521372165_RoyalWulffwithKeoughHackle.thumb.jpg.158dee2d589e3711753033c77afd6be9.jpg

5 hours ago, Peartree said:

Hula girl bass flies

2020-04-26_23-37-29_836.jpg

Interesting pattern Peartree, is it your design or did you find it somewhere?

1 hour ago, cphubert said:

Interesting pattern Peartree, is it your design or did you find it somewhere?

It's a copy of a design by a guide in northern VA by the name of Rob Snowhite.  You can find him on youtube.  He was tying them at the fly fishing show in January, and gave my son one.  I fished it and it worked well, so I made up these in a few different colors.