Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Scud back vs nymph skin

So I’m looking for an already stripped material that is somewhat stretchy.  I used some stuff from fly tiers dungeon that just fell apart.  I have used it a lot before but it must be getting old and becoming brittle?  Anyway, anyone have this issue before with either of the name brand stuff mentioned?  Nymph skin or scud back?  One is see through and the other is opaque, not sure what the difference other than that is.  Any other material suggestion would be appreciated also.  

E88A2D0F-3B63-4005-91F2-ECC00C6A6804.jpeg

I have found a replacement for Hareline Scudback that is identical to the original. Here are photos of the 1/4" and 1/8 " clear Hareline Scudback.

35724586655_da5bc33db2_z.jpg35593320821_82d40da221.jpg

It is identical to Sew-Ology Clear Elastic that I bought in the sewing section of Hobby Lobby. See the photo of the package and the material below. 

Sew-Ology and Dritz brands of clear elastic

34883025784_ee23148cb9_z.jpg

Sew-Ology elastic 3/8" outside the package.

34883025664_0452f4904f_z.jpg

This is clear elastic that is in the elastic section of the sewing departments. It is used in swim wear and underwear and is sometimes called clear swim wear or bathing suit elastic. Other companies make a similar material such as the Dritz brand that I bought at Joanne's. The Sew-Ology brand is thinner and better IMHO. I bought both to examine them.

Both brands are 3/8" in width and you get 5 yards of it for about $2-3. It comes in 3/8" width, and that is why Hareline cuts that into a 1/4" and 1/8" to sell it. I plan to cut mine into the same widths using a rotary cutter on a rotary cutting board.

You can color it with a marker to get the shade you want like the olive Hareline version.

35593320931_37608957b2_z.jpg

35 minutes ago, McFlyLures said:

Ok so are they more durable?  

Yes, I've used them and you can't hardly break them. They're quite stretchy.

On 4/2/2020 at 6:17 AM, flytire said:

to do what? a shell back on a scud? 

cut a strip from a clear zip lock bag

I use it for lots of flies..