Fly Tying
silverbadger

Center Pheasant Tails?

I’m not a hunter. Where does everyone buy their center tails? I want to acquire a lot of them and $3 a pop from the shop is starting to add up. Anyone have a source for them by the 50 or more?

There's an Ebay seller who sells the tails in bulk. I've bought some from them and have been pleased with those I received. They're not graded, but are as fine as any I've seen. I think the last bunch I bought had 15 in the bunch. They seem to have them listed often so you could try contacting them for a larger quantity. 

Of course, with this virus issue, I haven't been checking Ebay much, so don't know if they have any listed currently. 

I don't think they are, as I recall that seller lists them as being from pheasants in the US, but I have never verified it.

I've seen the listings too of bulk lots from China, but have never purchased any of them.

I've been pleased with what I have purchased. They're bulk, not graded or packaged, so you may get some that won't be perfect, but certainly great for tying. The seller name is 1maggy and has 100% positive feedback. 

36 minutes ago, flytire said:

check out moonlight feathers

https://www.moonlightfeather.com/ringneck-pheasant-feathers/

where they come from in the world youll have to ask them

They're another source that I've purchased from, but not pheasant tails. I had bought some of their saddle & schlappen they have listed, the 1 yard quantities. Nothing wrong with the feathers, but the density and number of feathers may not justify the price for everyone. They also have listings that are 4" of hackle, and I was very pleased with those. Before I made a purchase, I had asked them about their dye process, since craft feathers often are not colorfast, and was told that they dye them, using acid dyes, so a good choice for tying purposes. Real nice people to deal with as are the other folks that I had mentioned.