Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

anybody wearing a buff to the stores?

I think that the reason they are now recommending masks is the fact that not ALL people that are infected, are symptomatic or even get sick. For this reason, they are recommending using a mask in case YOU may be one of the ones that are carrying the CV19, but not symptomatic, so you dont unknowingly pass it along.

That's my understanding, too.  If everybody wore masks, then very few could pass on an infection.  But most people are 100% sure they haven't been infected.  Of course, so were 99% of the people who have BEEN infected.

To iterate ... I fully understand the REASONS for masks.  I just don't think it's going to matter that much in the end.  I don't believe anyone is going to wear masks for the next year or so that it will take to develop, test and release a vaccine ... if it ever gets done.  There are about 200 viruses that produce the symptoms of the "Common Cold".  I truly believe that this will just be one more of those.  A very large portion of the population is showing mild signs.  But the human race needs to build the immunity.  Preventing the spread now just delays the inevitable until next Fall, when people will stay indoors more and the spread will continue.

Mikechell, I agree, sooner or later we have to build a immunity to this virus. Im not so sure this has not been around longer than what has been reported, my motherinlaw, was horribly sick in late January, yet the doctors could not figure out what was causing her horrible cough, and high temp. She was finally given a antibiotic that knocked it out of her, but the Docs would not call the flu or a cold, just a virus. I hope everyone here is staying healthy in these trying times, hang in there!

Mike.

As I understand it, antibiotics don't work against viruses.  If it stopped her symptoms, she had a bacterial infection. 

This novel coronavirus was first "recognized" late November of 2019.  It was already being actively spread for an unknown amount of time before that.  So ... at least 4 to 5 months, and a full 2 months or more before it was announced to the world.  Uncounted people have had and recovered from it without ever knowing they were suffering from anything other than a cold or flu.

How many people flew in and out of China between November and March, when we first started paying attention to it? I'd guess as many as 25% of our population may already be survivors, but far as I know there isn't a test for that. Wife and I both had something in early Feb, that wasn't quite a cold or exactly the regular flu, neither so bad that we went to Dr. but it lingered longer than normal.  15 miles from probably the country's  largest importer from China, most everyone in the region working there or associating with folks who do, I believe the whole region must have been exposed to some extent in Dec and Jan.

No doubt at all that we will all have it eventually, either thru exposure or injection. Hope it is a mild dose for all.

4 hours ago, mikechell said:

Preventing the spread now just delays the inevitable

I guess the government hopes by then better testing and more ventilators will be ready. 

There will be conspiracy theories around this forever.  Hypothetical theories that someone will take as gospel ...

My two conspiracy theories are just thought experiments ... do NOT take them as anything more than that.

Conspiracy theory 1)  Imagine if the Spanish had known their European diseases would wipe out the Aztecs.  Make a few forays into small areas, then sit back and wait for the population to die out.  China could well have released a known deadly infection, knowing that an equal percentage of their own will die ... but the rest of the world will than be underpopulated.  They just sit back and wait for it to take its toll.

Conspiracy theory 2)  Scientist are constantly searching for a vector virus.  The key to genetic therapies or manipulation is to design a virus that can carry a specific genetic trait into host cells.  Those cells then replicate the virus, and the genetic change is propagated through the host body.  But you need a virus that is readily accepted by the body.  Coronaviruses have been around for a very long time.  Unlike Influenza viruses, which can mutate easily, and always negatively affect the host ... coronaviruses are more stable.   They are also already accepted by our systems.  Use a benign one, change it slightly to carry designer genes, and you have your vector.  BUT ... this one got out before it was perfected.  It's readily accepted (contagious) and slightly deadly (we don't have an immunity, yet).  Once we have developed a communal immunity, it'll be another of the hundreds of viruses that give us "colds".

Conspiracy theory 3)  (I just came up with this one)  BUFF brand facial coverings WILL stop the virus, and this whole pandemic is just their attempt to sell more stuff.

I read an article yesterday that Woody Harrelson believes that 5G cell service is used to spread COVID19. He needs to step away from the Bong

Hmmmm ... I never tied computer viruses to REAL viruses, but who knows ?!?!?!

There've been a few horror movies where ... something ... traveled through the phone or the airwaves to get to the victims !!!

Here is a great, I repeat great, video of a pulmonologist at ground zero in a NYC hospital with 1200 COVID19 patients. He works with the sickest of the lot. I think it's fair to say ground zero is determined by where he is standing at any given time. Here he is addressing concerns to his family and friends, I say again, his family and friends. He didn't do this to mug for the cameras or to profit.  You are free to believe the carpetbaggers pandering for votes, the CDC pandering for the biggest money grab in CDC history, the 100's of thousands of healthcare workers who will have no contact with a COVID19 patient or the mainstream media who are all grabbing for noteriety, wealth and fame, all of the FaceBook idiots who perpetuate the fear mongering of previous lot or this guy. The choice is up to you. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kcKTzefEJFM

Poopdeck, great clip and great common sense medical advise. He makes a great case for less fear and panic but that doesn't sell and sensationalize things like our media and elected officials need to do. It is bad but we as a people will get through it with or without them.

It should be mandatory viewing. The fear mongering and panic did its job of making everybody take this serious but it's been long since time to move away from fear and panic and get back to working and living with COVID19. This can very simply be accomplished with two very basic rules. If the doctor can work among 1200 COVID19 patients without any type of protection 90% of the time I think we can all get back to work without any fear or increased risk of exposure. Two freaking simple rules, THATS IT!