Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
tangledup

Greetings!

My son and I picked up fly fishing about a year ago so we are still working on getting that down. Then a couple months ago we decided to start tying our own flies. We have really enjoyed it so far, but it is definitely a learning process. Other than our local fly shop (which has some amazing people) I don't really know too many people who tie so hopefully this will be a place to get some pointers and tips.

We primarily fly fish for trout, although we both love to fish for smallies and have some great smallmouth fishing around here. We plan to get our rods set up for smallmouth fishing this summer. So most of our tying at this point is small nymphs with a couple of attempts at woolly buggers. I'll probably be posting some pictures soon to get some input. 

Welcome to the site, Tangledup.   Post your pictures, ask your questions, get some answers and, hopefully, have a lot of fun!

Welcome, more fly tying and fishing is a great family activity; and dozens here in the forum  are able and willing to give out amazing information that makes flyfishing even more fun...🎣🎣😎😎

Welcome to the site from the LATE WWKimba!  I'm from central NY - born and bred!  I've been tying for almost 50 years now and I love working with youth/new tiers.

I see you and your son are newer to the fly tying game.  FYI, (or as they say "Now for a commercial message"!) I am running a series of 5 separate and individual swaps designed for new tiers/new to swaps tiers from now until the end of March 2021.  If you check the "Beginners Corner" section of this forum you will see my post (it is under my name and has a "new tier" tag) for some back round info on the swap series and the go to the very next section "Fly Swaps & Contests" to sign-up.  The first swap in the series, Streamers" is closed but the next "Nymphs" still has openings in it.  If you have any questions just PM me (click on my name to get to the PM - private message link).  I'd love to work with you and/or your son on developing your skills.  BTW, besides my fly tying back round I also was a Boy Scout Fly Fishing Merit Badge counselor for years and was the professional in charge of First Aid and CPR programs for the Red Cross for 10 years (plus 10 before that as a volunteer) so i have a pretty extensive experience at teaching skill based programs.

Now that I've tooted my own horn!  I now return you to your regularly scheduled program!" 

Kim