Fly Tying
DarrellP

Covid 19

I thought we could share if anyone has experienced it in their family  or anything else to share.  Please nothing political.  Share EXPERIENCES, not OPINIONS.

Are you quarantined, out of TP,  been to a hospital, or what?

We have a stay at home order, but we are considered essential.   So I still get to work.  Glad to have income, but worried.

I have around 40 employees.in a 24 hr animal ER. I am responsible.  We wear gloves, and masks, go get animals from the car.  Nobody comes in from outside past our vestibule.  Going to start having no overlap between shifts, to limit spread should an employee get it.. Other vet practices are closed early, so we are hammered.  Trying to do all I can.  I have one employee who was exposed and she is in home isolation.  Waiting to hear.

We are a teaching hospital , but students were sent home 6 weeks ago.

FEMA or MEMA may take our protective equipment if they need it..

Nothing in the family, but a nursing home four miles away has had 77 residents test positive, with 5 dead, plus a number of the staff have test positive.  Those staff shop at the same grocery stores that I do. It's a bit scary.

I'm under "stay at home" rules.  Fishing is only allowed for food, the resources police are chasing people off c&r waters.  Given all the layoffs, I figure there are enough people who actually need the food that fishing can provide that I don't need to compete with them.  Plus being in the high risk group (over 65, male and diabetic) I'm not even risking going to the gas station.

I've been doing a lot of lawn casting for exercise. 

No experiences, yet.  I'm still going to work everyday (although the 47 mile each way drive is wonderfully traffic free) so no extra time at home or less time at work.

We don't hoard stuff, but we always have about a month's worth of everything, in case I need to fly off for work.  So, we're doing well with supplies.  Wife's done a couple of small shopping trips, and everything she wanted has been available.  Oh, except one of her medications.  Needed to be ordered and will take an extra 3 or 4 days to get here.

I haven't been on the boat since the lockdowns. but I do have a small local pond, so I can still do some fishing.  I'm likely going to try for so St. Johns River fishing this weekend ... providing the ramp is open.

Pretty much life as usual at this point.

Mine is a mostly non-essential business and we have had less than six people walk through the door, in the last two weeks, for more essential business-band saw blades and sharpening for industry.

We will be making as many of our monthly payments as possible. Fuel oil, electricity, water, and building payment.

We still have one employee coming in and we are paying him.

Other than that we have no bills. We own our trucks, and everything else is paid for.

We have four full freezers and a 50 bag of beans and a 50 pound bag of rice. We have made a habit of keeping those around for years, it's a rotating stock.

It seems like our creditors are going to work with us so everything is OK, so far.

I wish everyone the best. Hang in there, in the overall scheme of things this aint so bad for the vast majority of us.

Nothing is permanent unless you jump out a window or cash in your 401k.

There will be severe implications for just a few of us. Love the ones you love, and take care of each other. Do that while following the guidelines as closely as possible.

In the meantime it's great to have all of you to talk to and share flies with.

I'm a telecom engineer at a firm with 15 employees here in central Mass.  We had a guy test positive 3 weeks ago and since then were all working from home. As far as I know no one else including myself is having symptoms.  We are considered "essential" because we design and support medical and government telecom networks.   Some of the engineers are still conducting field work but my cardiologist locked me down for being in a high risk group.   Fishing is still being allowed here. 

13 hours ago, redietz said:

Nothing in the family, but a nursing home four miles away has had 77 residents test positive, with 5 dead, plus a number of the staff have test positive.  Those staff shop at the same grocery stores that I do. It's a bit scary.

I'm under "stay at home" rules.  Fishing is only allowed for food, the resources police are chasing people off c&r waters.  Given all the layoffs, I figure there are enough people who actually need the food that fishing can provide that I don't need to compete with them...

That's sad about the nursing home. Fishing is allowed for food? Okay then, why not suspend the C&R restrictions until this is over. More important to put food on the table than to protect a small element of the fish in the river. Fish and rivers will recover but people who need food are the priority. Also, open all areas to bait or lures but keep enforcing daily limits. Just my .02.

My wife has a cousin about her age (66) with comorbid conditions that may or may not make. One of our twin daughters (is) a medical assistant and she has contracted Covid19. She has spent a couple of very sick days at home quarantine away from her kids, a couple of weeks of weak and slow, but now seemingly back to normal and going back to the front lines again. Hopefully she is now carrying a natural immunity to the virus but with new developments in how this virus is formulated and responds to stimuli when inhaled immunity may not be a given with this virus. It is also why developing a vaccine is more of a problem but it has to be developed and administered worldwide if we're going to go back to normalcy until the next pandemic hits us.

A colleague was one of the earlier confirmed cases. He convelessed at home for a couple weeks and is returning to work. The younger you are the less of a deal it is which surprises me when I go out to the stores (everyday and usually multiple stores) I don't see any younger adults. It's only the seniors and more at risk age groups. Something wrong with that picture if you ask me. 

I'm now in week 4 of my lockdown and I'm noticing people are getting tired of the lockdown and are venturing out in greater and greater numbers. Today I went to Lowes and it looked like business as usual with everybody buying plants and lawn care items. Personally, I'm glad to see it. 

3 hours ago, vicrider said:

That's sad about the nursing home. Fishing is allowed for food? Okay then, why not suspend the C&R restrictions until this is over. More important to put food on the table than to protect a small element of the fish in the river. Fish and rivers will recover but people who need food are the priority. Also, open all areas to bait or lures but keep enforcing daily limits. Just my .02.

I think the idea is that all the C&R streams in the state require a fair amount of driving to get to from almost anywhere, and that if you can afford money for gas, you can afford money for food and even buying the gasoline means unnecessary social interaction. 

DNR has already issued a clarification that the intent of the order is to stay home unless absolutely necessary.  There are already enough people abusing the system, bragging on social media about how they're fish "for food" but putting everything back that's too small or isn't their "target species" knowing full well that they're fishing in place where every fish they will catch fits into one of those two categories.

The governor shut down the reservoir.  I live on the rez, so that hurts.  This is two years in a row, as an invasive plant species was being killed last year and they had to keep boats from spreading it.  The rez had to be shut down because kids were congregating on sand bars and doing what kids do.  Fishing should be good next year.

I have access to some other lakes.  Just have to drive a little ways.

At least the state did open up our resident bear season, at first they closed down both the resident and non-resident seasons, for some reason. Knee jerk reactions.

On 4/3/2020 at 7:08 AM, DarrellP said:

I thought we could share if anyone has experienced it in their family  or anything else to share.  Please nothing political.  Share EXPERIENCES, not OPINIONS.

Are you quarantined, out of TP,  been to a hospital, or what?

I have around 40 employees.in a 24 hr animal ER. I am responsible.  We wear gloves, and masks, go get animals from the car.  Nobody comes in from outside past our vestibule.  Going to start having no overlap between shifts, to limit spread should an employee get it.. Other vet practices are closed early, so we are hammered.  Trying to do all I can.  I have one employee who was exposed and she is in home isolation.  Waiting to hear.

My wife and I are both ER nurses, she is in a large hospital, I am in a microhospital. Both in OKC. Census is down, people seem to be staying away. Homeless population unaware of what's going on, business as usual for them. Ambulances coming to my hospital more regularly in an attempt to keep the BS away from larger hospitals when the corona hits the fan. Projecting mid to late April for drastic increase in cases. Our hosp has one vent. 2 nurses, one doc, 2 techs. ventilated patient basically brings us to a standstill if we can't offload them.

Wife's hospital moved oncology unit to a separate building. They also magically found 40% more capacity, which surprised me that they could never do that during "hold season" when the ER is 75% full of patients with no bed upstairs to go to. She has much better PPE than I do. Good since she is asthmatic. 

Brother is ortho surgeon in central texas. Stopped all elective surgeries, cut 50% staff. 

Parents are in Jacksonville, FL. Mom is veterinarian, still seeing patients at 2 clinics. She's got 41 years of practice, and feels the need to keep teaching and mentoring the baby vets. I'm worried it's going to hit her or my dad hard. He's got COPD, multiple MIs. 

Wife's dad lost job due to economy. OK is oil country. No new oil in OK under $45/barrel, we were in the mid $20s and his employer cut him loose from looking for wells. 35 year career gone, now he's looking to buy a forestry mulcher and go clear food plots for deer leases to stay busy. 

I have a feeling there will be lots of land for sale here for cheap soon.