Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
flytire

Was your FIRST fly fishing trip....

Rather successful, IIRC, I caught a couple trout, lost almost a dozen flies, learned about windknots and got a free roll casting lesson from a stranger who would turn out to be the best trout fisher I've met.  Lost money,  but didn't break a rod, lose a reel  or fall in, so it was a good day. Mild temps, sunshine and grackles everywhere. But I was late to the fly rod and was pretty good at taking limits with bait and spinners, at almost 26yo, I only had to adapt to the different delivery system, not to also learn about the fish and the water. 

Now, my last three times out have been total skunks.

I started with a Southbend glass rod that I still have ( just the rod) and an auto reel with level line. On a hunch I tried that rod while out spin fishing. I was able to get enough line out to fish a small pool with a tent wing caddis two sizes larger than the hatch and caught two brook trout, missed half a dozen first time out. But that hooked me better than the fish cause non of the spin fishers near me caught anything that day. It sealed the deal on fly fishing right there. After that I mustered up dough for a 6 wt St Croix rod, inexpensive click reek and tapered line and I was off and running. I caught everything with that St Croix for years, then I broke it and got a replacement that to me never fished the same and that started the quest for the ultimate fly rod. I'll be 70 yo in two days, I can say the ultimate flyrod is the one in your hands !!! When I was maybe 6 or 7 1956 or 57 and stores were closed on Sundays back then, my dad cut a sapling switch stick, tied twine to it, bent a hook from a safety pin, we dug worms from the garden. Granny my mom, my dad and me piled into the Nash and took a ride down to the run off from the reservoir that formed really a small pond and I caught my first 3 sunfish that day on bobber and worm. That was the ultimate rod that day. I still remember the first ever bite, it was like electricity shooting up my arm lol !! One of these days I think I'll go repeat that for old time sake.

No matter how you do it go fish, maybe take a kid and be blessed lol !!

7 hours ago, Dave G. said:

I'll be 70 yo in two days, I can say the ultimate flyrod is the one in your hands !!!

I'll be a few weeks behind you and completely agree on the rod in hand. Dad didn't fish so it wasn't til '62 that while on a camping trip to an Idaho wilderness area an Aunt taught me the fishing basics and my largest trout to date was caught that day on a willow "rod",  a few feet 4# mono she cut off her reel and a worm dug right there, split shot but no strike indicator. 

My father did not fish but both of my grandfathers did, one used a flyrod and I used one fishing with him, started with worms and grass shrimp for bait and using the line like a bobber fishing for brook trout and white perch, moved up to flies (cheap five & dime store type) to fish farm ponds and brooks with a gifted steel telescoping fly rod (traveled well on my bicycle) until it broke while casting. Saved my money for a fiberglass rod and fly tying vise from Herter's.  Although I don't remember being successful I do remember a lot of people helping me and eating more than my share of fish, mostly panfish if I caught them. What drew me to fishing fly or otherwise  was spending time with my grandfathers, later, time with friends on the water and a campfire. So my first experience fly fishing was very successful.

13 hours ago, tjm said:

I'll be a few weeks behind you and completely agree on the rod in hand. Dad didn't fish so it wasn't til '62 that while on a camping trip to an Idaho wilderness area an Aunt taught me the fishing basics and my largest trout to date was caught that day on a willow "rod",  a few feet 4# mono she cut off her reel and a worm dug right there, split shot but no strike indicator. 

Good story tjm, I love it !! Simpler times for sure the 50's and early 60's. By 62 dad was drive a Dodge Custom Royal I remember. He turned in the Nash for the Dodge with big V8 engine and dual exhaust. Nice car but a thirsty bugger.