Fly Tying
breambuster

Ordering Materials For Well-Stocked Round 5

THIS IS A REVISED VERSION OF MY ORIGINAL POST AND I HOPE IT IS CLEARER.

As promised, the Well-Stocked Fly Box series of swaps is going to a fifth and sixth round, SO THIS IS NOT a sign up thread. Sign ups will NOT be accepted at this time. This swap will NOT begin until after the 5th of May. 

Ok, with that said, one of our faithful swappers who has been in on every round has requested a jig swap. But I have always thought of this as a trout swap, but that doesn’t mean that we can’t do both. I have watched some Tim Cammisa Swaps in which he ties some trout jigs that are really nice. In studying these jigs, I have discovered that they are used in Czech Nymphing, which I know nothing about. It may be that others Nymph patterns are also used, so, I won’t call this a Czech Nymph swap. The type of fly that I am looking for in this swap is a trout jig fly with a bead and a jig hook no larger than size #12. This style of fly is also called a Euro Style Jig Fly. Many  Perdigon flies also fit this type of fly. If you want to look at some of these jigs, go to YouTube and search for “Ginger Snap fly” which is what I will be tying. Cammisa also did a Light Cahill recently which looks very nice. Other possibilities are the Napolean’s Dynamite and the Duracell. Watch some of Cammisa’s videos, because he often shows additional patterns at the end. 

Many other examples of this type fly can be found here:

https://www.google.com/search?q=euro+style+jig+flies&sxsrf=ALeKk00DCyg3KY7ZvDP4WBas1nCqgx92PQ:1586098670509&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjN6dX-xdHoAhUmTt8KHXypBSoQ_AUoA3oECAsQBQ&biw=1600&bih=757

The purpose of this post is to get you thinking and to give you enough time to choose a pattern and to order materials. The pattern I’m tying uses a Disco bead, and I’ve found that eBay is a good place to get them. 

If anyone has a question, I will do my best to find an answer.

BB

Here are the parameters. The largest hook allowed will be a size # 12 and it MUST be jig hook with either a 60 or 90 degree bend at the eye. The jig head MUST be a slotted bead or at least it has to sit snugly against the hook eye. The bead can be no larger than a 1/8” which is the larger size appropriate for a #12 hook. I will be using a #14 hook and a 7/64 bead. The jig’s that I have seen in this style often have a hot spot, so hot spots are encouraged if appropriate.

why so many "MUST" parameters? cant the swapper decide for themselve which "euro style jig fly" to tie? is there a "MUST" for hook brand, orange thread only etc?

https://www.google.com/search?q=euro+style+jig+flies&sxsrf=ALeKk00DCyg3KY7ZvDP4WBas1nCqgx92PQ:1586098670509&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjN6dX-xdHoAhUmTt8KHXypBSoQ_AUoA3oECAsQBQ&biw=1600&bih=757

Like I said, Flytire, I do not know hardly anything about this type of fishing. Thanks for giving me the phrase “euro style jig fly.” Maybe If I had known to use that phrase, the parameters wouldn’t have been needed. I was just trying to eliminate 1/16 oz Crappie jigs,  dumbbell eyes, etc.  Also, thanks for the website because it shows LOTS of patterns I didn’t know about. 

BB

Why don"t you say..  Must be a Jig  trout fly  with a bead and a hook no larger than a#12 

Steve-stabgnid

I have edited the original post so if you haven’t read it recently, you might want to go back and read it again.

BB

I think I will sit this one out.  I don't jig but I do reel occasionally.

17 hours ago, breambuster said:

I have edited the original post so if you haven’t read it recently, you might want to go back and read it again.

BB

AND ... if you don't like the way breambuster runs his swaps, just don't join or run your own.   There's no need to criticize it.   He's run enough to know how he wants to do it.  And he deserves the respect that comes with his 16+ years on this site.

So we can't use a down-eye standard hook? I have some Perdigon flies on a down-eye with basically the same effect on orientation. (hook point up)

14 minutes ago, mikechell said:

AND ... if you don't like the way breambuster runs his swaps, just don't join or run your own.   There's no need to criticize it.   He's run enough to know how he wants to do it.  And he deserves the respect that comes with his 16+ years on this site.

Dang Mike  first I did not reread it because I did not know he edit it  I have been in plenty of his swaps I think he knew I was not being disrespectful Just offering a suggestion with that said take a chill pill  .. You know that is all I was going to say but you really pissed me off you don't do any of these swaps but you sure like to abuse your power as an administrator and start drama over nothing now with that said I'm done ... 

Steve-stabgnid 

Well, you say 

18 minutes ago, stabgnid said:

you sure like to abuse your power as an administrator and start drama over nothing

and I'll apologize for giving you that perception.  I certainly don't want you to think I'm trying to start drama over nothing.

But watching people criticizing others "over nothing" tends to tick me off (flytire started it, you piled on) ... so I guess we're even.

I would put up the suggestion:  If you don't like how someone else is running their swap, then PM them with your complaints/suggestions and all of this can be avoided.

Samsonboi, I want this to be a jig swap and there are Perdigon flies that meet that criteria. One reason for asking for jig hooks is that I know that they run through the water with hook point up. I can’t say that about all bead heads. We do a lot of swaps where bead heads are welcome, but I don’t remember ever being in a swap that calls for trout sized jig hooks. One reason I am giving everyone an extra month before we begin this swap is to pick out a pattern and to get the materials together.

BB

i didnt start any type of arguement with breambuster.

i simply asked why there was so many parameters and gave him more information on the style of fly he was looking for in his swap

he is even using the link i provided him in his original to help identify the fly style he was looking for

his words

Like I said, Flytire, I do not know hardly anything about this type of fishing. Thanks for giving me the phrase “euro style jig fly.” Maybe If I had known to use that phrase, the parameters wouldn’t have been needed. I was just trying to eliminate 1/16 oz Crappie jigs,  dumbbell eyes, etc.  Also, thanks for the website because it shows LOTS of patterns I didn’t know about. 

now you want to blame me for wanting to help clarify things! 

If this swap makes I’d be a tyer. 

Mainly because I like swaps and tying flies. Also we’re staying in do to this virus thing. 

That’s the spirit, Woodenlegs. That’s what I’m talking about. Let’s have some fun tying flies, even if it means getting out of our comfort zone. We many even learn something new and find a new, go-to fly for our well-stocked fly box.

BB