Fly Tying
robow7

Favorite dubbing loop or dubbing spinner tool ?

Does anyone have a favorite dubbing loop or dubbing spinner tool ?  I presently have a small twirler with the two small wire springs but it has no handle really and is hard for me to grasp and spin.  I've resorted to a bent out paper clip which works OK but want a tool with a nicer handle.  Do you have a favorite type of "end" that collects the thread loop, such as an "M" shape, or the small round hook, or the sprung 2 wire ?  Thanks for your input.  

I made my spinner out of a colored paper clip and just twirl it with my fingers of one hand while gripping with the other. I just make the loop out of the tying thread in place on the hook. Works fine for me. I suppose I could turn a bob for it on my wood lathe but never bothered. If I know I'll be dubbing that way I like to use 6/0 thread vs my usual 8/0 but have done it with either. Truth be known I usually dub the old fashioned way anyway, with the single strand. I do use a loop for tiny minnows tied with fly fur though ( those things fish awesome)..

I have one like this.  The head is heavy enough to spin well.  With the handle on it, I can spin it without having room for a weight to hang.

I've had it for several years ... I don't remember how long, exactly.

Wood-Turbo-Dubbing-Whirler_2048x.png?v=1

49745766721_7451d0105a_c.jpg

I use one of those battery-powered cocktail mixers ($6.00); cut the end off one of the attachment ends, drill a hole, cut the eye off a modified hook (used a Mustad 34011, I think) and epoxy it in the hole. If you want to change the direction, just flip the batteries and it rotates in the opposite direction.

Regards,
Scott

My favorite loop tool is the Kelly Galloup Rising Tool- it's just a shepherds hook tool but it's very useful. I use it for many different applications. For spinners, I'm mostly disappointed or underwhelmed with the 4-5 I have on my bench tbh. 

9 hours ago, robow7 said:

Does anyone have a favorite dubbing loop or dubbing spinner tool ?  I presently have a small twirler with the two small wire springs but it has no handle really and is hard for me to grasp and spin.  I've resorted to a bent out paper clip which works OK but want a tool with a nicer handle.  Do you have a favorite type of "end" that collects the thread loop, such as an "M" shape, or the small round hook, or the sprung 2 wire ?  Thanks for your input.  

I'm partial to the dubbing spinner from OPST for $23. It is very heavy and great for composite loops.

Kimo

71nQZV3icDL._AC_SX522_.jpg

I borrowed a turkey skewer from wife's kitchen 40 years ago, it rolls/spins between finger and thumb easily and quickly, mine is pointed enough to use as a heavy bodkin too. A small button magnet on the vise stem will hold it and the twist out of the way or while I stop for some reason. 

Watching this as i need all the help i can get with dubbing loops.    Wrist surgery is put off indefinitely due to covid19.   My dexterity makes dubbing loops a challenge

This is the fastest and easiest dubbing twister that I have found. It has ball bearings and is machined so it is amazingly fast and smooth. No more Shepherd's Crook and sinker weight for me.

After I watched Gary using it, I got one for myself. Notice that he has modified his by cutting off a side of the arm so the loop stays closed and the single arm slips off the closed loop easily.

Modified by Gary

Turbo-Spinner.gif

Original

turbo-dubbing-twister_z1.jpg

Gary Borger » Blog Archive » Turbo Dubbing Twister