Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

PA trout season now open

PA unexpectantly opened trout fishing across the state at 8:00 AM this morning. No mentored youth day.

https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/fish-and-Boat-Commission-Details.aspx?newsid=316

finally some carpetbaggers had a good thought. I'm assuming it came out of the blue like it did to reduce opening day crowds. 

I won't be going out.  Hobbling around with a cane right now.   Even if I could, Ridley Creek State Park and Valley Forge Park are closed to all activities, so that eliminates Ridley and Valley creeks.  The Wissahickon's open,  based on comments from my church's walking group, but parking is scarce at Valley Green and I would image it's the same at Bell's Mill Rd.  Eventually I'll get out.

27 minutes ago, Philly said:

Hobbling around with a cane right now.

Sorry to hear, hope it's just a temporary setback

Yeay for you guys. Just so you know, all of Alaska is still open😋......only thing is, it's still frozen.

Tyler state park is wide open. As far as I know it never closed. I ran down and managed to be one of the first five anglers there. I managed to catch two before it turned into an opening day mob scene and I left. The park was also jam packed with walker, joggers, bicyclists and everybody else imaginable. 

you caught 2 anglers? man shorten up the back cast 🤪

connecticut governor opened our season on march 24 vs april 4 hopefully to eliminate large crowds

They encroached my AO. Was it opened unexpectantly like ours? As far as I know there was little if any advance notice. I think they announced the opening at the exact time of the opening. It only kept the crowds at bay for about an hour but it was a good thought. 

Just received an email from the PA Fish and Boat Commission stating exactly what you said about the season opening.  Apparently I'm still on the email list. I along with a group of friends would drive up to Kettle Creek from Florida and spend a week fishing and harassing each other.  Cell phones didn't work, no TV reception, and if I really wanted to know what was happening in the outside world I would look at front page in the newspaper dispenser which was in front of Deb's Restaurant in Cross Fork.  We did that for over ten years.  It was great, we caught some great fish, made better memories, and aliens could have invaded the rest of the country and I wouldn't have known for a week.  I wouldn't have cared if I did know.  Listening to Phil grouse during the mandatory visit's to his Kettle Creek Tackle Shop was always a treat.  Been 8-9 years since I've done that, I miss it.   Some of those friends are gone now.  Those of you that fish in that area remember how lucky you are next time the water is boiling because the coffin flies are thick.

Be safe out there!

Swamp

That is the great thing about opening day of trout fishing Swampy!  I'm sure your aware that in PA, among the fly fishing only crowd, opening day is looked upon with great distain. Those who partake are referred to as bait chuckers and powerbaiters by a large group of FF who believe they are superior to all other anglers. I see and have enjoyed exactly what you said on opening day for many years. Like you, the group I would go with have mostly passed on but man what great memories. I don't really have a favorite species as I enjoy fishing for anything and everything but trout would be one of my least sought after. Trout fishing was always about the relationships with others. Anymore I don't typically go out with my rod on opening day but I do go out to watch the start and see everybody enjoying or beginning their own opening day traditions. It's a great day and one where I'm glad the stodgy tweed wearing types don't partake.