Fly Tying
McFlyLures

Quarantine Fishing

4 hours ago, Jacks Grampa said:

I'll see what I can do. I need to have I.T.-wife person help with that.

Looking forward to it.

Tecnically, "quarantine" is confining someone who may have been exposed and could get sick and transmit the disease.  A boat crew coming into port with the crew forced to stay at home is the classic example.  "Isolation" refers to someone being confined because they are sick. I guess we are quarantined because we might have it.  I guess this is a form of quarantine, to attempt to protect ourselves from catching it, and get the transmission rate below 1.

Everyone has jumped on the bandwagon that black people are getting it because they are poor and lack medical access.  I cannot help but wonder if there is a genetic issue at play.  Similar to the fact that Asians are more prone to liver cancer, etc.  

Anyway, I plan on fishing tomorrow, by myself.  In my kayak.

2 hours ago, mikechell said:

inner city/big city statistics

I think I just tasted what was left in my stomach from breakfast. Thanks so much.

By the way, it's called a mortality rate. How many people in group x per 100,000 are reported to have died from the Corona virus. For black Americans it's 23; for white Americans it's 8. It's about 8 or 9 per 100,000 for Latino Americans and Asian Americans, too.

Is that fact not newsworthy?

For all U.S. states with available data and Washington, D.C. Mortality rate per 100,000 residents.

Asian       7.9
Black       23.1
Latino      9.3
White       8.6

BUT ... this number is based on "per residents" of particular areas ... not the whole Country.  It doesn't figure in the fact that the highest population densities also have the highest numbers of infected spreading the contagion.  So, inner city/big city areas are, naturally, going to be higher mortality rates due to higher infected rates and people living practically on top of each other.

As I posted before:
For all U.S. states with available data and Washington, D.C. Percentage represents share of all deaths with known race/ethnicity.    

Asian (4%)                  1,147     

Black (28%)                7,326     

Latino (15%)              3,969

White (49%)              12,680

You can look at ONE graph, and draw the conclusion that Blacks are more likely to die.  You look at the other, and draw the conclusion that Whites are more likely.   Main point is, NEWS media is going to take the data they WANT to display and rant about.  And these days, it's ALWAYS going to be about discrimination is one way or another.

59 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

I think I just tasted what was left in my stomach from breakfast. Thanks so much.

By the way, it's called a mortality rate. How many people in group x per 100,000 are reported to have died from the Corona virus. For black Americans it's 23; for white Americans it's 8. It's about 8 or 9 per 100,000 for Latino Americans and Asian Americans, too.

Is that fact not newsworthy?

It is newsworthy. I am sure lots of things play a role in the higher rates of infection and mortality.

We've noted that Black people have a higher rate of Diabetes and other respiratory illness and those things in turn result in a higher rate of death from Corona Virus.

It has been suggested that cultural behavior also leads to higher infection rates among minorities, like more frequent and larger family gatherings.

I wonder also if poverty rates are aligned with infection rates/mortality rates. For instance, do we have data for infection/mortality for a given race above and below poverty levels.

Lots of people are quick to blame racism for a lot of things, it's an easy scapegoat. I suggest that for many things to get better, a closer look need be taken. You can't solve a problem unless you fully understand it.

What's that old saying?  Oh yeah:

There are lies, damned lies and statistics. - Mark Twain

14 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

for many things to get better, a closer look need be taken

100% agree. 

21 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

Lots of people are quick to blame racism for a lot of things, it's an easy scapegoat

Lots of people are also quick to blame the media, or the government, or academics, or..., Lots of easy scapegoats.

I just blame Mikechell

😉

One of the sad things I learned working the streets as a young cop down here in paradise (south Florida) all those years ago, 1973 to 1995... is that it’s a lot easier to stay healthy if you’re middle or upper class than it is if you’re poor and struggling just to keep your family together and in good shape...

My hat’s off to anyone that starts from nothing and works all their lives to make a better place for their kids.  Most that succeeded did so by their own efforts from what I could see.

Something like this comes along and it’s a real challenge for folks living close to the bone.

😆  That's why my shoulders and back hurt.  The weight of all that blame I'm carrying around !!!

I don't carry a stitch of "blame" - and every time I see folks trying to break down outcomes by race I get cranky since in my view it's simply economics - the folks at the bottom have a hard way to go wherever you find them no matter what "group" they come from - and I figure it wasn't much different 2000 years ago...   That's why I really admire someone who comes from nothing and makes a place for themselves and their family - if it takes a lifetime to do so...

Commentary about the "journalist" working for the U.S. media-

"WORLD ENDING TOMORROW- WOMEN, CHILDREN AND MINORITIES EXPECTED TO BE HARDEST HIT".