Fly Tying
Mike West

Cheapest place for Metz American Rooster Capes?

Besides The Feather Emporium...😉

I recently moved from Texas to California due to health reasons and all my tying materials are back in Texas and I’m not gonna see them anytime soon.

I need capes for tailing deer hair bass bugs and I think the American rooster cape is my best bet.

Where is the cheapest most reliable place to buy these or is the price set?

Thx.

You could probably buy a couple of packages of feathers for far less than a nice cape at a fly shop. I guess the right answer depends on what it is you want or like, the size, color (s),  and how many you need, etc.

Yeah I’m looking for high-quality stuff dyed over grizzly no Chinese capes anything like that I want Metz American rooster Capes

thx

For bass bug tails, Whiting's 4B capes and saddles are less expensive.  The feathers are similar, but shorter and softer than the American series.

I have not found a lot of variation of price for American capes.  But, occasionally, I have found certain colors on sale.  Just have to check multiple fly shop web pages to find them.  The last ones I bought on sale were from J Stockard.  

Good luck.

i've never seen metz advertised as "american capes or saddles"

whiting farms calls them that

a good old fashioned online search will get you the lowest prices but i doubt theyll be much different fron one shop to another

maybe metz "magnum" capes might work

Cheap? Why not buy the best? I bet you spend way more on fishing than you ever do on fly tying. 

1 hour ago, Bazzer69 said:

Cheap? Why not buy the best? I bet you spend way more on fishing than you ever do on fly tying. 

Probably because the best isn't needed, or even likely to make a difference especially if his goal is to fish them.