Fly Tying
mvalbano

WTB: Frank Matarelli Whip Finisher with Thread Cuter

Hi,

I am looking for a genuine Matarelli whip finisher with a “V” grove thread cutter that Frank would make on the the end of it. I know I could do this myself, but I’m looking for one that Frank made. They were also sold at Blue Ribbon Flies several years ago. Please PM if you have one you would sell. Thank you! Stay Safe!

Mike

saw a demonstrator at the iowa fly show that sharpened the opposite end of the whip finisher , then just touch the thread and it cut   one less step

Along with the bobbins these are like unicorns and bigfoot.

I missed a chance at two bobbins a couple of years back and haven't seen any come up for sale since. 

I talked to you on a different and know you are looking for that particular item. For those who like the idea I took a whip finisher with a blunt bottom and ground it down to a knife edge. Little work with a file and sharpening and it does the job of turning around and cutting line at head very well. Lot easier than reaching for scissors every time. Don't know if that would work with the model that has the brass half hitch on it though. I've tried using the squeeze it scissors with the ring to keep in hand while tying and I really like that but the scissors themselves had a poor quality metal and dulled quickly.

I bought my Matarelli back in 95,  did not come with notch.  One on flea bay like mine they wanted 80$ seems steep.

Hi Pete,

yeah, I saw the one of flea bay, they typically go from $50-$80 now that Frank Matarelli is no longer with us and they are not being made anymore. The ones with the thread cutter notch were usually made special and given to tyers Frank likes so they are harder to come by. He also made some with bamboo handles and those had notches. It’s tough to find but I’ll keep looking. Thanks

Mike 

Does anyone else make a thread cutter similar to this one? I have Materelli Whip Finisher but alas it doesn’t have the thread cutter which I’m sure is very handy

On 6/3/2020 at 1:10 PM, Bazzer69 said:

Does anyone else make a thread cutter similar to this one? I have Materelli Whip Finisher but alas it doesn’t have the thread cutter which I’m sure is very handy

7 hours ago, Landon P said:

Tightline has a video adding a thread cutter to any whip finisher 

tim flagler (tightline videos) has a video on how to add the thread cutter to the matarelli whip finisher but not any whip finisher

I just know, if I was to sharpen the end of my whip finisher like that, I'd flay the palm of my right hand.

33 minutes ago, RickZieger said:

I don't think I want to sharpen my hand as I hand whip finish everything.

Rick 

Just grow a nail a little long and sharpen a notch in it with a chainsaw file, it works great.