Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
ScienceGuy141

Deer hair for spinning, bass bugs, and muddlers

Where do you guys get your deer hair? Wapsi deer body hair seems to be one of the more affordable priced hairs,  anyone have experience with these?

Also, at what point would you recommend buying premo strips? How many flies should I anticipate tying to make a premo strip worth it.

Thanks!

You'll want different hair for muddlers compared to spinning or attacking and packing hair for bass bugs.  The primo strips will work well for muddlers and things like mice. For poppers and divers you'll want belly hair, this site has a good selection.

https://www.slideinn.com/store/fly-tying/hair-and-fur/deer-and-elk-hair/

I have found that buying on line is a crap shoot when it comes to deer hair. I have not tried the site recommended by Vincente.  A lot of the dye jobs leaves it brittle.  Black sometimes bleeds.  Several guys on here tie a lot of deer hair flies. I admit that my experience is rudimentary.

Premo Strips are a lot of deer hair and you’ll have to spin a lot of hair to use one up...

Wapsi deer hair on well tanned flexible leather is as good as it gets in my opinion...

Yeah, deer hair is tough to purchase online unless you can ask for specific type/length. When tying comparaduns, muddlers , collars , bass bugs , they all require a certain type . I have been using Pat Cohens site lately, ( since Chris Helm ) passed   . rusperfly.com. Whitetail fly tieing supplies,  whitetailflytieing.com. 

You can ask for hair for comparaduns and thats what youll get. When tying the bigger bugs you want coarse long hair, 2" or longer. I think you can call directly with Whitetail and speak directly to Mike or Nancy and they can get you going , they know their Hair.

new pics 9.29.2018 011.jpg

Jeeze, put that frog away. You're making the rest of us look bad.😀 And them other poppers behind the frog, put them away too.😓

I agree with Mark, take those photos down as obviously you know nothing about spinning hair.  Ha  Those are simply gorgeous !

If you can hand select your premo strip then this is a very economical way of going about it.  Kelly Galloup has a nice video where he explains the differences and what to look for when selecting your premo strips.

And yes, it was a sad day in deer hair land when Chris Helm passed away as he was such a great source of hair and information.

What are the general recommendations for the various types of flies? It sounds like longer and coarse is desired for bass bugs? I am assuming because this helps form more durable and buoyant bodies? What about for muddles/collars, comparaduns, etc? Also, do people prefer a certain thread when tying with deer hair? From the videos I have seen Kelly Galloup do, it seems like he only uses GSP....is this because he is tying streamers, often with deer hair, or is thread more of a person preference? 

I am thinking I might just have to buy a few commercially tied hair bugs, at least for a reference. I have tried to just jump and tie up some flies, but my consistency isn't there to even make adjustments. 

In general, the goal for flies that I want to float I should be trying to pack the heads tightly, correct? I am seeing that muddlers and flies I am hoping to get down in the water column it is better to keep the hair less densely packed? 

Sorry for the load of rookie type questions, but your help is greatly appreciated!

Those frogs are incredible! 

3 minutes ago, ScienceGuy141 said:

In general, the goal for flies that I want to float I should be trying to pack the heads tightly, correct? I am seeing that fly muddlers and flies I am hoping to get down in the water column it is better to keep the hair less densely packed? 

You got it 

Pretty good prices stmflies, I might have to order a couple of the variety packs from you my selection of good hair is running low.

12 hours ago, ScienceGuy141 said:

What are the general recommendations for the various types of flies? It sounds like longer and coarse is desired for bass bugs? I am assuming because this helps form more durable and buoyant bodies? What about for muddles/collars, comparaduns, etc? Also, do people prefer a certain thread when tying with deer hair? From the videos I have seen Kelly Galloup do, it seems like he only uses GSP....is this because he is tying streamers, often with deer hair, or is thread more of a person preference? 

I am thinking I might just have to buy a few commercially tied hair bugs, at least for a reference. I have tried to just jump and tie up some flies, but my consistency isn't there to even make adjustments. 

In general, the goal for flies that I want to float I should be trying to pack the heads tightly, correct? I am seeing that muddlers and flies I am hoping to get down in the water column it is better to keep the hair less densely packed? 

Sorry for the load of rookie type questions, but your help is greatly appreciated!

Those frogs are incredible! 

Stacking a bass bug to make it look cool is one thing, making one that "keels"/ tracks correctly when fished is another.