Fly Tying
Poopdeck

Leader storage

I should add that if I didn't break it off it would have been perfect. 

Why replace the whole leader, my leaders last a season or two? Just put a small loop knot at the leader/tippet junction and loop to loop on your tippet instead of a blood knot. You can still pretie and loop together 3-4 ft sections of tippet on a spool, then all you have to replace is the tippet, not the whole leader. Same deal with a tippet ring. You don't have to knot on the tippet, just use a loop to loop on the ring. 

Great question, I just find it easier and more convenient to swap out the entire leader. On top of aging eyes, my major motor skills work better then my minor motor skills so I try to limit the use of my minor skills by working more on the big end of the leader and as less as possible on the small end. I'm never in a hurry while fishing but it takes me less time and less aggravation to swap it out and tie a fly on with a simple clinch knot. My leaders are constructed with trilene and big game mono so cost is not an issue as 330 yards per spool is enough leaders for the rest of my life. Perhaps if I was paying the same price for a 27 yard spool of leader material sold as leader material I would be more frugal. Some days I have no issues and dont have to change out the leader but I start each new day with a new leader. 

Your loop to loop and loop to ring connection are great options. I don't think I would like a loop to loop at the tippet end but maybe I'll give the loop to ring a try next time out now that I've finally used a ring. 

3 hours ago, spiralspey said:

Why replace the whole leader, my leaders last a season or two?

Not honestly???  Am I the only one that will admit that my leaders occasionally turn into a "jumbled mess" (more often when using split shot)?  But the real culprit is the wind!!! 😎    At 5 for $7 or so, I'd rather replace them then stop fishing. If I was using the new-fangled expensive leaders I might have a different attitude.  I know how to fish without messing up a leader, just like I know how to ski without falling down, but I like to "push myself" sometimes -- Like trying  to cast under a tree that you know is almost "too close".  

Fishing season is coming up soon here (in the midwest)!  : )

I don't fish for trout, so if this doesn't work for those easily spooked fish, don't read.

I use 14 pound test for leader material.  I then have a length of 6# or 10# test line for tippet.  Almost always 10#, since I'm always near weed lines, pads and trees.  I have leader line on that's probably two years old.  I usually change it every year on my most used rods, but ones I use less frequently might have three year old leader on it.  14# test mono leader never air knots or tangles.  I didn't think that was special, since it's stiff enough to resist those tight loops that tie knots. 

I am constantly replacing tippet, though, since that's where all the air knots and fraying/weakening from fish and snags happens.  I loop is already tied in the end of the tippet coming off the spool.  I pull out a new length of tippet, tie in a new loop and cut off my new tippet for use.

I have used furled leaders with tippet rings for years.  They hold up well.

I bought the rings years ago to add them to my furled leaders but furled leaders last so long that I haven't had to make any since I bought the rings. 

They look like tippet spools but shallower so a good option if you don't mind the bulk. What I like about the tippet spool is that I can snap my leader spool together with other tippet spools that I suspend from a lanyard strap between my wader straps for easy and quick changes. I'm only adding a tippet spool worth of bulk and I can leave some size tippet spools in the truck further reducing bulk. 

So far so good as I. Still really liking the system.