Fly Tying

Mike is not the only one who uses sewing thread, I have for more than 10 years.  I started using Gutermann Skala for trout flies, and Gutermann Bulky Nylon for Saltwater and Bass flies.  The only other thread I use is monofilament line.  So far, I have not been Red Carded.  

I must have a hundred spools of thread  ranging from 12/0  to G.   Different brands.   I don't use a lot of them these days.  I have considered using rod wrapping thread a couple of times.  I haven't used sewing thread, like the kind you use to sew buttons on shirts.   What I do use, and since it's found in the sewing department of craft stores, I guess it would be considered "sewing" thread  is Kreinik Metallic and Blending thread.   I use it for beetle and ant bodies but it has to be wound on smaller spools to fit the bobbins I use when tying them.   I also found large spools(400 yds for about $2)of clear polyester thread and pearl, silver, gold and copper metallic thread.  These will fit on my regular bobbins.  I've been using the clear thread on more of the flies I'm tying, streamers, bait fish patterns, even nymphs.   The metallic thread  to wrap hook shanks and for bodies on streamers like Zonkers.

Troutslayer I like Sheer and Veevus as well.

I tie a lot of bass flies and a couple years ago I started using Veevus 140 PB (power thread) and have never looked back.  Stuff is really strong, handles well, and I can spin deer hair with it easily and will remain flat if desired.  If only it wasn't so expensive as compared to others.

On 4/19/2020 at 2:01 AM, Mogup said:

I like the UTC thread and use it about 80% of the time.

Hey Pat, it's been a while!

Hi Samsonboi,

How are you ? Hope you and your family are well. Been tying a lot due to the circumstances.

Here’s a little salt and sweet water.     Killie fish/ Indian yellow spider.

Sorry for the  brief-derailment. 

3E719033-AA4C-4DEC-A519-25DEEA59C1B9.jpeg

A42E1549-BF37-4891-9482-E7ABA11D2897.jpeg

7 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

Really nice! Love the soft hackle. The salt fly looks great too. Never fished salt before.

Well soon you’ll have your driver’s license and you can drive over to my next of the woods and fish the salt with me.

Yeah, that'll be cool. I'll have my permit in July, junior license (can drive alone but not after 9 unless to/from school or work) in December. 

Already have an 8 weight ready to go...

Thanks Troutslayer.  I guess for you the gulf coast states would be your best bet for the salt.  I would love to hook up on some Reds !