Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Tyler beh

Thread recommendations for size 2,4,6

I have been tying size 2,4,and 6 streamers for trout and just seeking some recommendations for thread to use for bodies.. would 140 denier be okay? For the deer hair heads I have been using gsp 210 denier

I believe UTC 140 thread is a good all around thread for the average trout streamer.  However, if you need to build up a body diameter quickly, 210 or 240 thread works well.  Remember, whatever size thread you use, it should form a good head at the hook eye.  When using Fish Skull Fish Masks, you need to build up a bigger thread base under the mask, 210 works well for that.  For larger saltwater patterns, 210 or 240 is better as it is a little tougher for toothy fish to destroy.

I agree with the above that UTC 140 is a really versatile thread. It will serve you well on the sizes you are tying but so will the gsp that you are using. Kelly Galloup is a big streamer guy and he ties almost exclusively with gsp 100 and frequently does his videos with hook sizes in the range you are using. Kelly also has some videos on selecting thread that might help you out. GSP is pretty tough stuff, so you can reef on it pretty good when securing materials, spinning deer hair, etc, but gsp is also pretty thin and doesn't build much bulk.  I think with some practice you can often times use your materials to build the bulk you want and just cover it with a layer of thread. A downfall of gsp is the cost.

If you are worried about toothy fishing ripping apart thread bodies and stuff like that, you can use a small amount of UV glue to give some added protection. 

I use utc 210 for stuff that size sometimes 140 if I don't have the color I need in 210, but it's never my first choice.

Hook sizes 2, 4 and 6 are all large ... compared to most trout flies in the 12 through 20?  24?

Almost all of my tying is done on 6 through 10.  When I am in a fly shop, looking at thread, I look for the colors I want.  I couldn't tell you, without looking at the spools, who the last two or three threads I've bought are from.  The only problem I have using sewing thread for flies of this size ... the colors are usually very pale ... pastel even.  If I want brighter colored thread, I go to the fly tying threads I have.

The gist of my comments ... at the hook sizes you've listed, Tyler, the thread is going to be more about you than the fly.  What color do you want?  How much tension do you want to use?  (As you've mentioned, deer hair can require stronger thread)  What effect do you want?

Brands are unimportant, too, if you're buying from a brick and mortar store.  If it doesn't perform the way you expect, take it back and show them what it's doing "wrong".  I am sure they'll replace it or let you know why it's doing that.

You must have been listening to some purist,  Mike.   I have some streamers that I would fish for trout tied on size 1 and 1/0 hooks depending on where I'm fishing.  I've even tied flies down to size 32.  You use 12/0 thread for those.  Back to the subject.  I use various brands.  For hooks size 2 to 6, 6/0, 3/0, 210, G are the sizes I have so that's what I use.   If I don't have the color I want I'll use a permanent marker on white thread.   Spinning deer hair, 3/0, G  or 210.  G is a designation Orvis uses for their heavy salt water thread.   It can build a tapered body on a hook shank or large thread head I actually do use thread, or at least I buy it in the sewing department at the craft stores.   It comes in approximately 400 yard spools for about $2.  I can use them with my bobbins.   The one I use the most for streamers or bait fish pattern, particularly if there are two or more colors involved where you have to build a head on the fly, is clear polyester thread.   They also carry metallic thread.  I picked up gold, silver, pearl and copper thread.   I've been using the metallic threads to cover hook shanks on bait fish patterns and for the bodies on streamers like Zonkers.   

Here's an example of thread head using size G thread.  The fly is tied on a 3/0 hook  and a Zonker tied on a size 6 hook using pearl thread for the body and the clear thread to tie it and form the base for the head.

P1310351.JPG

P2150364 (2).JPG