Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Landon P

MY FIRST TROUT FLY FISHING!

Hello everyone I  finally caught a trout on a fly! Sadly it wasn't one I tied but awsome none the less. We took the boat out today and went to long lake. We were just trolling around the edge and my Dad caught one on a crank bait. After that I pulled out my fly rod (I only brought my 8wt) and after about a half hour of trial and error a finally hooked one. I caught it on a tiny popper. It was cool because you could see them in groups and every once in awhile they would start feeding and that was when I caught the trout. Also I'm not quite sure what kind of trout it is. The fish was kinda small but still put up a bit of a fight. Resized_20200418_164310-01.thumb.jpeg.7848a1185249a0d361ab270a58912a95.jpeg

Thank you! That would make sense I just looked at the stocking records for that lake and a lot of brown trout were stocked last year.

One fish in half an hour of casting?  Sounds like a good ratio, to me !!!

Good for you. Great job.

Now for some obligatory cliches. Now you're hooked. Did you catch the fish or did he catch you.

Congratulations.

Well I'm pretty sure the fish caught me. There is nothing more exciting than seeing the fish try to eat your fly and then trying to cast near the same spot again to hook it.

On 4/19/2020 at 11:39 AM, Mark Knapp said:

Yep, you're hooked. There's no hope for you now.

He’s mainlining the dry fly juice... unless you stop fishing altogether, and that won’t happen with this guy...