Fly Tying
Poopdeck

That guy at the ramp.

Has it ever been you? Today it was me. First time out with the boat after having the power head gasket replaced. Lots of wind and current as the river was up due to rain. Regardless I have been chomping at the bit to get the boat out before the shad run passes me by. So my buddy backs me and unhooks the boat. I somehow end up sideways across the side bunks of my trailer. My boat I stuck on top of the side bunks. Can't get the boat off the bunks because reverse with a jet is next to useless. Can't pull the trailer out from under the boat. Then I noticed I put the throttle in forward and not reverse. YOU FREAKING IDIOT! No wonder I was now all screwed up. So I put it in the right direction and with a little help from my 8' push pole, I was able to free myself from the trailer. What a screw up. I have been hung on rocks plenty of times, which is why I have an 8' push pole in the boat, but this was the first time I got stuck on my trailer.  Old age showing up at inopportune times sucks.

No fish today because the current was to strong for my anchor to hold so we just raced up and down through the wing dams which is a ton of fun in heavy current.

1 hour ago, Poopdeck said:

Has it ever been you? Today it was me. First time out with the boat after having the power head gasket replaced. Lots of wind and current as the river was up due to rain. Regardless I have been chomping at the bit to get the boat out before the shad run passes me by. So my buddy backs me and unhooks the boat. I somehow end up sideways across the side bunks of my trailer. My boat I stuck on top of the side bunks. Can't get the boat off the bunks because reverse with a jet is next to useless. Can't pull the trailer out from under the boat. Then I noticed I put the throttle in forward and not reverse. YOU FREAKING IDIOT! No wonder I was now all screwed up. So I put it in the right direction and with a little help from my 8' push pole, I was able to free myself from the trailer. What a screw up. I have been hung on rocks plenty of times, which is why I have an 8' push pole in the boat, but this was the first time I got stuck on my trailer.  Old age showing up at inopportune times sucks.

No fish today because the current was to strong for my anchor to hold so we just raced up and down through the wing dams which is a ton of fun in heavy current.

Even your fancy rebuilt anchor couldn't hold. Wow. Glad you got out anyway.

Tomorrow is my turn. After a month of too much snow on the ice to get to the fish house it has finally melted enough for me to get there.

I have never been, and hope to never be, "that guy" at the ramp. I try hard to get in or get out as quickly and smoothly as possible, but I've had a few less than smooth situations when pulling out. It's always been when there's a strong wind and luckily there has never been anyone waiting to use the ramp while I struggled getting things lined up.

I've seen a whole lot of crazy things at the boat ramp, and I've learned to be patient. I've backed down other people's rigs, helped trailer up boats, shown folks how to use the trim switch, helped put plugs in boats while they started filling with water, and held onto boats with no mooring ropes while their owners parked. Sometimes you can't do anything but shake your head.

Never had a boat big enough to be "that guy".  I didn't have a trailer for a long time, unloading the boat from the top of my vehicle.  Because of that, I never unloaded on popular ramps, since I had to load the boat after putting it in the water.

Now, with a trailer, I back it into the water with a rope attached to the boat.  Once it floats free, I get out, grab the rope and guide the boat where I want it.  I hand load the boat on, never using the motor, so that cuts down on powered mistakes both ways.

Like Spiral, I have helped many people put their boats in or take them out ... wondering when we'll get licenses like car drivers.  MANY, many people in boats need schooling.

Embarrassing right! I've been driving boats off trailers for 40 years. And have owned my own boats for 35 years. Big boats, little boats, in between boats, fresh water boats,  salt water boats, you name as long as it's  not a jet ski, I've trailered it and launched it. I also routinely launch and recover in fast current, high wind and low water. My fishing partner has been a boat owner longer then me and we are a great team. We can launch and recover a boat in about a minute or two with no rush. 

My entire issue today was unknowingly putting it in forward when I wanted to back off the trailer and then the 15 seconds or so that it took me to realize what the heck was happening. Again, I have no explanation for how I allowed myself to do this. I don't think I was stroking  out so maybe, hopefully, it was a lack of attention born out of complacency. Fortunately the shutdown had the ramp a ghost town so there was only one or two witnesses. Even with all the commotion we were clear of the ramp quickly and would not have posed any delay or danger to anybody else. My boat is a tank, built for low fast rocky water so It was not damaged in the least nor was my trailer. Only my ego and pride were bruised. Humbling to say the least. At work we always say complacency kills. Time to take that saying to the ramp as well. 

Mark, I'm trying to make an anchor only as heavy as it needs to be. My old early season anchor comes in at about 35 pounds and it's a getting to be a bitch pulling it up. My new one is a different design and weighs in at 17 lbs right now. I'm going to add about five more pounds by extending the shaft and I'm going to bend the end of the tines in another 20 degrees. I did get some good feedback from the anchor by looking where the paint was scraped off of it so I'm pretty sure I need more weight in the shaft. I added 3' more feet of anchor chain but that did little so I think I need additional weight localized to the end of the shaft. I think the new design will be fine during the summer lows so if the added five lbs and higher degree bend on the tines don't work I'll keep it for lower flows and go back to the drawing board for a lightweight high fast water anchor. You can never have enough anchors and who  knows, I may revolutionize river anchors. If not I'm going to have to find a younger 1st mate.  

Even if it's not the reason, you can always blame "old age".  Everyone else just rolls their eyes at that, so it goes over ... and away ... quickly.

Can you just weld a bolt to the end of the anchor shaft and use a nut to lock a 5 pound weight?  (or 10 pound, etc.) That way you can convert it back and forth with the turn of a wrench.

Mike, my very first thought was, what is he crazy, but after mulling it over in my head it's an interesting idea. Off the top of my head I'm thinking I can cut the shaft in half, weld together three or so large nuts to the end of shortened shaft then have a couple different length and diameter extensions for the end of the shaft. This would save me from having to redo my anchor cradle or making an anchor around the current cradle. Interesting indeed. 

Thank you ... and I think I understand your version.

This is what I was thinking of.

Anchor.jpg

Maybe this will make you feel better. This is where I launch sometimes to go halibut fishing.  Most of of the times it goes much smoother than this though.

3 minutes ago, mikechell said:

Geezo Peezo ... it's like an episode of "Deadliest Catch"!

Yep, there's no harbor in the area so we use one of the two boat launching services in the area. I've used it fifty or so times and haven't had trouble yet. Knock on wood. It's just every once in a while you get the wrong surf.

With the weights on the bottom it will make the anchor heavier on the wrong end. I want it to hit the bottom laying horizontal without having to be pulled over. With that amount of weight on the bottom I think it would need a lot of anchor chain to get it pulled over. But what the hell maybe I'll try it. I use weight bars in most of my anchors and I have a box full of of threaded dumbbells just waiting for me to do something with them. 

Mark, the first boat looks like mine. Never launched Where the current is coming at you or going away from you. Nice video. 

dumbbell.jpg

Usually those tractor guys have it down with timing and everything else but sometimes Mother Nature can be a nasty lady.

That looks like a slick idea.

Hmmm.  I thought the weight would be to drive the splines into the bottom, hence the weight at the bottom of the anchor.  But I get what you're trying to do, and now your method makes much more sense to me.

Good luck, I hope it works!

Never-ending entertainment to hang around a heavily used boat launch in the summer....