Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Free fly tying materials to young people.

Another one of my fly tying friends has been told he doesn't have long to live, lymphoma. He has given me all of his fly tying stuff. I told him I would clean it all up and organize it, then donate it to our local Trout Unlimited/Fly Casters Association.

DSCF5193-X3.jpg

Instead, I would like to give it to some young people to encourage fly tying.

So, if you are 16 years old or younger (because I think that by the time you are 16 years old you should be starting to earn your own money and things earned at that age are more valuable than things given) and would like some fly tying materials PM me at this site and I will send you some. Tell me what you would like to have and, if I have it, I will send it to you.

If you are older than 16 but know someone younger than that please send me his/her address. Also. let me know what kind of materials that person might like, or what kind of flies they might be interested in tying.

The only other request I would like to make is, after you receive your package please  write a thank you note to my friend via snail mail,  who's name and address will be included in the package.

James Fox, I already have your address, let me know what kind of materials you would like.

Mr. Landon, if you send me your mailing address, and let me know what materials you'd like, I would be happy to send you some.

Any one else?

I would like some, I'm 15.

The thank you note, it's a given. Always, when I'm given something, I write a thank you note, or at least a nice email if I don't know someone's address. I'll PM you my address and some possible materials that would be most useful.

Thanks to you, as well, for handling the sorting and sending. 

1 hour ago, samsonboi said:

You can't recieve messages. Would you mind sending me your email?

Hmm, maybe I got myself banned or something. I'll try to PM you.

OK, Now try it. It seems my "in" box was full. Happy to send you some.

Some Boy Scouts of America chapters offer a fly tying merit badge and every couple of years I donate a large sack of materials that I accumulate to a local chapter (just can't figure out where all that stuff comes from....ha)

1 hour ago, Mark Knapp said:

Another one of my fly tying friends has been told he doesn't have long to live, lymphoma. He has given me all of his fly tying stuff. I told him I would clean it all up and organize it, then donate it to our local Trout Unlimited/Fly Casters Association.

DSCF5193-X3.jpg

Instead, I would like to give it to some young people to encourage fly tying.

So, if you are 16 years old or younger (because I think that by the time you are 16 years old you should be starting to earn your own money and things earned at that age are more valuable than things given) and would like some fly tying materials PM me at this site and I will send you some. Tell me what you would like to have and, if I have it, I will send it to you.

If you are older than 16 but know someone younger than that please send me his/her address. Also. let me know what kind of materials that person might like, or what kind of flies they might be interested in tying.

The only other request I would like to make is, after you receive your package please  write a thank you note to my friend via snail mail,  who's name and address will be included in the package.

James Fox, I already have your address, let me know what kind of materials you would like.

Mr. Landon, if you send me your mailing address, and let me know what materials you'd like, I would be happy to send you some.

Any one else?

Sorry to hear about your friend, Mark! I really appreciate and admire the generosity. Best of luck in finding good homes for the fly tying materials.

Thanks everybody.

I've done some sorting.  We have lots of stuff.  Let me know what you'd like to have and what colors you prefer.

buck tail

marabou

chenille

schlappen and strung hackle

calf tail

synthetic fish fur and craft fur

flashabou

mallard and gadwall flank

squirrel tail

zonker strips

dubbing

glo bug and egg yarn

31 minutes ago, ScienceGuy141 said:

Sorry to hear about your friend, Mark! I really appreciate and admire the generosity. Best of luck in finding good homes for the fly tying materials.

Thank you , it's a sad thing emptying a guys basement, but he and I will be happy knowing some young people will get some enjoyment out of it.

Tough spot to be in, best of luck to you both.  While this might be more work for you, you might think about putting together some kits.  Something along the lines of everything needed to tie a number of a particular fly.  With the amount of material that I can see in the photo it might be a great way to get help some of the younger folks a way to have a specific way of improving their supplies that they can see a direct result with.   Like I said though that would be much more work and I think you are already being a real friend and you both are doing good for the younger (or beginning) tiers.  Just thinking out loud... feel free to disregard.

Swamp

Thanks Swamp, robow and TSM, all very good ideas. And I will do some of all of that. I have so much stuff, I've been thinking of doing some classes, free to young folks, and attractive women, 😁the only problem is the attractive woman in the other room. 

one thing i've learned about giving away free tying materials on forums in general (and lord knows how much ive given away) is that people come out of the woodwork when that word "free" appears, you send them something and theyre never to be heard from again until you post more "free" tying materials. gimmee gimmee gimmee

i think they finally register on the forum when seeing "free" after lurking for years

some need to be reminded to let the giver know they received the package i sent them and then it occurs to them to say thanks

i gave away an older version of a renzetti traveler vise to one tyer only to never hear from him again. he did thank me. but nothing after that

i still havent seen any flies tied with a nice grizzly cape i sent to one young tyer. not that it was a requirement but it would be nice to see it being used

squatch is 12 1/2 (hes big for his age), just starting out tying flies a couple of months ago and lives in the forest all by himself and could use some "free" tying materials. anything other than fur (he has plenty of that) would be greatly appreciated. something like chenille or krystal flash. not much of that in the highly limited fly shop in the forest of bulzonkilonia.

even with those big claws of his he does tie a decent size 16 purple haze parachute dry fly. still need to work on proportions

giphy-downsized.gif

but please dont be discouraged in giving away any materials. theres some good folks out there but just dont expect a great big hug and a thank you note the others

okay so my rant is over for now. gotta go tie some flies

2 hours ago, flytire said:

one thing i've learned about giving away free tying materials on forums in general (and lord knows how much ive given away) is that people come out of the woodwork when that word "free" appears, you send them something and theyre never to be heard from again until you post more "free" tying materials. gimmee gimmee gimmee

i think they finally register on the forum when seeing "free" after lurking for years

some need to be reminded to let the giver know they received the package i sent them and then it occurs to them to say thanks

i gave away an older version of a renzetti traveler vise to one tyer only to never hear from him again. he did thank me. but nothing after that

i still havent seen any flies tied with a nice grizzly cape i sent to one young tyer. not that it was a requirement but it would be nice to see it being used

squatch is 12 1/2 (hes big for his age), just starting out tying flies a couple of months ago and lives in the forest all by himself and could use some "free" tying materials. anything other than fur (he has plenty of that) would be greatly appreciated. something like chenille or krystal flash. not much of that in the highly limited fly shop in the forest of bulzonkilonia.

even with those big claws of his he does tie a decent size 16 purple haze parachute dry fly. still need to work on proportions

but please dont be discouraged in giving away any materials. theres some good folks out there but just dont expect a great big hug and a thank you note the others

okay so my rant is over for now. gotta go tie some flies

Norm, I know what you mean, and having gone through that a lot myself, I have resolved myself to that reality. I satisfy myself with the warm feeling I get having given.

Hopefully people will see your post and become better at it. Let's hope for the best.

Thank you for your thoughts on the issue.