Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
niveker

Landing Net Project

Finally took the time to finish this little project: upgrading my cheap, mesh nylon net with a rubber one. 

- tennis racket from thrift store - @ $3

- rubber landing net from the auction site - @ $12

- spray paint from another project - $0

- para-cord scrounged from the daughter's old craft box - $0. 

Measures  10 x 13 x 13 deep.  Big enough for most of my fishing. Alone, the replacement net is heavier than the racket frame itself.      

IMG-0668.jpg

IMG-0671.jpg

IMG-20200421-121158.jpg

I like that. Great idea. A lot of racket handles are hollow too so you could add foam so it floats if dropped. 

1 hour ago, Piker20 said:

I like that. Great idea. A lot of racket handles are hollow too so you could add foam so it floats if dropped. 

Yeah, this one has a handle of molded, dense foam around racket frame forming the handle.  Might give some buoyancy, but I doubt it would float with the weight of the net.  My net rarely comes off the bungee attached to my vest, so its not an issue for me.    

Might as well play tennis with that net since it won't  work for fishing unless your a bait chucker. Nope, sure won't work for fly fishing, it didn't cost enough and it's probably at least an ounce heavier then a real net. Remember, Fly fishing is expensive just like fly tying. Sarcastic humor there. I really like it. I like the paracord handle, I like the upcycle and I like the unpretentious in your style.  Good job!

Thanks gentlemen. It turned out better than I anticipated. My biggest concern was how to attach the net and how it would lay around the frame.  After thinking through a few different approaches, the circumference of the net and frame were similar enough that a series of cow hitches on the inside allow the net to be 'reversible'  

2 minutes ago, DarrellP said:

Very professional looking.  Of course, the fish I catch wouldn't fit in it.!

Yeah, right.

Darrell, thanks. Actually, alot of mine I can scoop up in my truckers cap. 

4 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Very professional looking.  Of course, the fish I catch wouldn't fit in it.!

Yeah, right.

My catches wouldn’t work with this net either! They’d all slip out through the holes... 😅

Great work on the net!