Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
samsonboi

Jan Betters? Ausable dubbing?

So, emailed Jan a little while ago... no response. I have been looking for the Betters formula orange dyed possum for a while, no dice. Wonder if Tom carries it???

Anyone have any or know where it can be got?

"FRAN" Betters?  I tried to find a "Jan" Betters ... couldn't.  I don't "follow" the know fly tiers ... couldn't tell you who was who and wouldn't be able to pick one out of a crowd of one.

There is, however, a number of sites that come up when I typed in this thread's title on a search engine.

Good luck finding what you seek.

Jan Betters is/was Fran's wife. She carried on making the dubbing to his formula after his death and the closure of the Adirondack Sport Shop. Not sure if she is still alive. I will ask Tom Conway. He will know.

Good luck on your search, kid.  I think I remember reading on another forum a while back that she is no longer making it due to lack of quality possum, but I may be wrong. 

You can probably find someone's version of the recipe out there, or someone here may chime in.  I use my dogs fur (a yellow hound mix) dyed orange (Kool-Aid) and mix in some brown/mahogany fur from a hares mask, and a little sparkle.  

I just posted a video of Mr. Betters tying his Ausable Wulff over in Chugbugs thread 'Videos of Fly Tying Notables"

The very easiest way, is to blend Wapsi Awesome Possum Natural Brown dubbing with Awesome Possum Burnt Orange in about a 50/50 ratio. If you want a full spectrum of shades, add a little Awesome Possum in Brown to make it a darker shade. It never came in one shade when he was alive and selling it in pieces from a hide. Some was darker and brown, some more orange and lighter. I bought these from him in 2004, right after he dried a batch up. You can see the different shades. The loose dubbing below is one mix that I blended up. Even the body color on his Ausable Wulff patterns varied a little. One of his Wulff's is in the pic too 🙂

Regards,

Mark

IMGP1220.thumb.JPG.1814b7b6298f1f2b2cb0a3ecaac17b88.JPG

3 hours ago, samsonboi said:

So, emailed Jan a little while ago... no response. I have been looking for the Betters formula orange dyed possum for a while, no dice. Wonder if Tom carries it???

Anyone have any or know where it can be got?

Use a brown cinnamon color

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chLR3M-sq_8

http://www.njflyfishing.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=18270

We've got two 'possums that come up and eat cat food every night.  We like them, so you can't kill 'em.  But if you bring some sheep shears, we might could catch one and shave it ... then you could dye your own fur/dubbing !!!

😉

Silvercreek, I mean the actual stuff dyed by Fran or Jan that is a patch of skin and has a few different shades across it due to the natural color of the hair being a bit different across the hide.

As I understand it, Fran dyed his skins several different shades and the undyed Australian Possum (see below) has different color tones on them so when dyed they are different shades. I pulled the photo off the internet. I have an  Australian Possum skin but mine is grayer than the one below so there must be some variation in the possum skins from animal to animal as well.

That being said, if you were to find a genuine skin that Fran dyed, how would you decide what shade of orange to use. Do you mix the fur from different areas of the skin? Do you use just one area of the skin? I assume from mvendon's post you mix the fur.

I am not trying to be difficult. I am curious.

il_570xN.874295429_5f9v.jpg

When I first started fly fishing, I wanted to match the Hendrickson hatch which is the first major hatch in Wisconsin. So I google the Hendrickson (E. Subvaria) and found that the most famous recipe was Art Flick's variation on Steenrod's pattern:

From Art Flick’s Streamside Guide:

"The Hendrickson dressing I like follows:
Wing - flank feather mandarin or wood duck drake
Body - pink fur from vixen of red fox (color comes from urine burns)
Hackle - natural blue dun
Tail - few wisps dun spade or barb feather

https://books.google.com/books?id=VXvIDwAAQBAJ&pg=PA55&lpg=PA55&dq=hendrickson+pattern+steenrod+vixen+fox+fur&source=bl&ots=qSSW0eChV9&sig=ACfU3U2vnqWv9gvGhRAUMny-2yQP_fZc2w&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjvgKqDw__oAhVYCM0KHQu0CIQQ6AEwDXoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=hendrickson pattern steenrod vixen fox fur&f=false

https://books.google.com/books?id=sswPQ0xH0K0C&pg=PA21&lpg=PA21&dq=hendrickson+pattern+steenrod+vixen+fox+fur&source=bl&ots=NJ0wikMRRi&sig=ACfU3U1X7impCygknlMPVqhf5qWKRvSqWg&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjvgKqDw__oAhVYCM0KHQu0CIQQ6AEwDnoECAoQAQ#v=onepage&q=hendrickson pattern steenrod vixen fox fur&f=false

So I was able to get a tanned female (vixen) fox pelt and used the pink urine stained fur to tie up my Hendricksons.

46971450561_124659ddab_z.jpg

When I went to fish them and caught the actual Hendricksons that hatched in my local rivers, they were brown and not pink!

Lesson learned. Insects of the same species can vary in color. I never made that mistake again. 

Actually, Fran's flies vary from a vivid orange body to a brownish body with just a hint of orange. Basically you use whatever part strikes your fancy or need that day. Eventually you use the whole skin. You can mix it if you want a specific shade too. It's the dye that produces a great tone, then there are different shades across the skin.

Having a whole skin or patch rather than a bag of loose dubbing fur means you can mix up whatever shade you want in that orange tone, or just clip it off the skin and use it unmixed.