Fly Tying
Landon P

Button snap on bottom of vest

I have this button snap on the bottom of my vest. I have no idea what it is for. Also there is a loop in the middle of my shoulders on my back is it for my net?

Most vests back in the day had a loop on the front bottom and a snap loop somewhere in the chest so you could put your rod butt in the bottom loop and then  snap the one on the chest across the rod to hold it while you retied. Hope that helps. I would guess the loop in the back is for a net connection. 

1 hour ago, Landon P said:

Yep just tried it net fits and so does my rod. Is my net supposed to just hang behind me?

Hi Landon- most people use a magnetic net holder one half connects to the back ring and the other to the net.  When you need it you just pull it free.  The magnet is strong enough to find the other half when you need to reattach.  I have seen many good fish lost at the angler's feet because they didn't have a net with them.

I can recommend this one from Bass Pro / Cabela's.  The magnet is super strong.

Mag.thumb.JPG.7aceb54e2006d72778390e613fb3872d.JPG

Some people add a length of para cord or small diameter bungee between the rings to insure your net wont get lost if it becomes detached. (walking through thick vegetation, wading ect).  You can also buy ready made magnetic net holders for around $20 in your local fly shop.

4 hours ago, DFoster said:

Some people add a length of para cord or small diameter bungee between the rings to insure your net wont get lost if it becomes detached. (walking through thick vegetation, wading ect).  You can also buy ready made magnetic net holders for around $20 in your local fly shop.

Yes, This.  Attach the handle to yourself with whatever method you like (big zinger, bungee etc.).  I have on many occasions had my forward movement arrested only to find my net firmly anchoring me to some obstacle that I had just passed.  I don't even want to think about how many replacement nets I would have needed to buy over the years if I had solely relied on the magnetic holder to keep my net attached to my person.  Set up your net just like in the photo above so you can reach around behind you to grab the handle without any fuss.

Swamp