Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
landen

Flies that use squirrel

I've got about 5 full, tanned squirrel hides with tails  and was wondering what kind of flies I can make with them. Also if you have any custom squirrel dubbing blend recipes let me know.

I think an old member here, kirk dietrich had a pattern called squirrely.

I use it in winged streamers and in wake flies that I want to swing across the surface. 

Make sure you wax your thread well and tie down butt's firmly. A tiny drop of glue can help too. Don't be mistaken thinking more and more wraps is always better. 

Two flies immediately spring to mind for using the tail:  a Muddler Minnow and a Picket Pin.

The Picket Pin is likely one of the most popular as a trout & bass fly. There's various patterns used for Salmon & Steelhead that use Squirrel tail hair. It also works fine for hair streamers as the back coloration over lighter colors, and it dyes well. I use some Fox Squirrel tail hair in some shrimp & crayfish patterns as the "shell".  Have used it & Gray Squirrel, natural & dyed, in patterns such at the "Cockroach", which is generally a saltwater type fly, but works great for bass & other fish by varying the size. 

The body hair works well as a stand alone dubbing, but probably a little easier to use when mixed with other furs. There's no secret to blending it, just use whatever colors you like, and mix it until you like how it looks. I mix a lot of my own dubbing blends, but don't have any set recipes. 

Perhaps someone else will give you a recipe for blends that they like. My criteria is make them look "buggy", and I use what I see to have appeal to me when mixing them. None of the fish complain. 

If you have some rabbit fur in different colors, that would be a good place to start, with mixing the two. You can certainly add it to dubbing such as the Hareline Haretron or other dubbing. 

These are tied with some Fox Squirrel tail hair. Clouser Minnow style streamers intended to imitate Crawfish or Shrimp. The other hair used is dyed & natural fox ( Red, Arctic, Hybrids, etc.) and/or Coyote tail hair. 

You're only limited by your imagination. 

1091.jpg

100_6657.JPG

Pretty much anything you can use rabbit for can be substituted with squirrel.   Pine squirrel zonker strips are awesome for small flies, And hares ear flies work well with squirrel hair too.    Use your imagination,  you will be amazed what you come up with.   

lefty used to say it was the best material for popper tails as it doesnt stick together when wet, it will spread out

Good for alot.  Several  Salmon and Steelhead flies  use the tails.  Also, Zonkers, meat whistle.  Whitlock squirrel nymph.

5 hours ago, DarrellP said:

Good for alot.  Several  Salmon and Steelhead flies  use the tails.  Also, Zonkers, meat whistle.  Whitlock squirrel nymph.

Popular fly on Arkansas tailwaters

7C4C87E8-B832-4C0D-8D17-5813A65AF877.png

Here's a few of my own... the first one is the Furnace Squirrel - all are tarpon patterns on very strong hooks (Owner Aki, mostly... these days - originally they were done up on Tiemco 800s hooks that are no longer available in the sizes needed, 1/0 through 4/0).

QNqFHgI.jpg

EttFxVB.jpg

cTZDiHS.jpg

Note the wire weedguard on one of them... I make it myself using #4 trolling wire (Malin's, commonly available in saltwater shops).   I've always considered these bugs to be Cockroach variations.   Here's my version of John Emery's famous Cockroach pattern, set up to be snelled the way we did back in the eighties and early nineties...

YpMs0Zv.jpg

No squirrel on the Cockroach, instead we simply used darker bucktail (from the center or edges of a natural bucktail, and done up on an Owner Aki hook...).

Not freshwater at all - but could be the basis for a few very different freshwater offerings in smaller sizes... 

The hair at the base of the tail has the best marking/coloration

Those are some nice looking flies Capt. 

13 hours ago, tidewaterfly said:

The Picket Pin is likely one of the most popular as a trout & bass fly. There's various patterns used for Salmon & Steelhead that use Squirrel tail hair. It also works fine for hair streamers as the back coloration over lighter colors, and it dyes well. I use some Fox Squirrel tail hair in some shrimp & crayfish patterns as the "shell".  Have used it & Gray Squirrel, natural & dyed, in patterns such at the "Cockroach", which is generally a saltwater type fly, but works great for bass & other fish by varying the size. 

The body hair works well as a stand alone dubbing, but probably a little easier to use when mixed with other furs. There's no secret to blending it, just use whatever colors you like, and mix it until you like how it looks. I mix a lot of my own dubbing blends, but don't have any set recipes. 

Perhaps someone else will give you a recipe for blends that they like. My criteria is make them look "buggy", and I use what I see to have appeal to me when mixing them. None of the fish complain. 

If you have some rabbit fur in different colors, that would be a good place to start, with mixing the two. You can certainly add it to dubbing such as the Hareline Haretron or other dubbing. 

These are tied with some Fox Squirrel tail hair. Clouser Minnow style streamers intended to imitate Crawfish or Shrimp. The other hair used is dyed & natural fox ( Red, Arctic, Hybrids, etc.) and/or Coyote tail hair. 

You're only limited by your imagination. 

1091.jpg

100_6657.JPG

Nice. How well do they work for smallmouths?