Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Honest to goodness mammoth hair

This is honest to goodness mammoth hair. I'm going to tie some flies with it, now all I need is some dodo bird feathers.

DSCF5203-X3.jpg

I'm certainly interested to see what you come up with.

Why do I sense an "exotic" or archeological materials fly swap coming? lol

Not Fly related, but it might make be interesting if you made a "stabilized" block out of it and used it to make a sheath for one of your mammoth tooth handled knives.  That would make for a conversation piece.  Now if you can get some mammoth skin to tan for leather, some mammoth bone, mammoth ivory, some mammoth coprolite...

Swamp

Now that is over the top.  Mark, you win.  Unless someone comes up with pterodactyl feathers.

Is it hollow, hard, ot what?

25 minutes ago, Flat Rock native said:

Hare’s ears on 7/0 O’Shaunesy hooks👍👍

Are there any nymphs that big?

25 minutes ago, Swamp Fly said:

I'm certainly interested to see what you come up with.

Why do I sense an "exotic" or archeological materials fly swap coming? lol

Not Fly related, but it might make be interesting if you made a "stabilized" block out of it and used it to make a sheath for one of your mammoth tooth handled knives.  That would make for a conversation piece.  Now if you can get some mammoth skin to tan for leather, some mammoth bone, mammoth ivory, some mammoth coprolite...

Swamp

I have the bone, some ivory and some teeth from mammoth but the skin is super expensive and, no, I don't have the poop.

17 minutes ago, DarrellP said:

Now that is over the top.  Mark, you win.  Unless someone comes up with pterodactyl feathers.

Is it hollow, hard, ot what?

Actually, I looked up Pterodactyl feathers and apparently they didn't have feathers, they were all made of leather.

The hair is hard and solid most resembling musk ox hair. It appears to have under fur too, like you would use for dubbing.

2 minutes ago, Flat Rock native said:

Only, during pre-emergence phase of Dactyl hatch...

Do you have a recipe or SBS, maybe a video. I might have to make this one up my self. And somebody said there's no such thing as an original fly anymore.

You'll be needing  Archaeopteryx feathers.  And appropriately, bone hooks.  You might have to make the bone hooks yourself, as the last retailer <Flintstone's Life Emporium> closed after the death of the mascot, Dino, ran away.

Y’all crack me up 😆

That’s seriously cool Mark. Is it pretty stable or falling apart after all those years? 

1 minute ago, Fisherboy0301 said:

Y’all crack me up 😆

That’s seriously cool Mark. Is it pretty stable or falling apart after all those years? 

I don't know yet, but I will let you know when a mess with it some. It's only 20,000 to 60,000 years old, what could go wrong.