Fly Tying
Mark Knapp

Honest to goodness mammoth hair

6 hours ago, Swamp Fly said:

I'm certainly interested to see what you come up with.

Why do I sense an "exotic" or archeological materials fly swap coming? lol

Not Fly related, but it might make be interesting if you made a "stabilized" block out of it and used it to make a sheath for one of your mammoth tooth handled knives.  That would make for a conversation piece.  Now if you can get some mammoth skin to tan for leather, some mammoth bone, mammoth ivory, some mammoth coprolite...

Swamp

Could stabilize cast under pressure and make knife handles with it too here's some whitetail deer one of the guys i get material from did.

Screenshot_20200424-213749_Firefox.jpg

That's pretty much what I was alluding to.  Had not seen the hair scales before but it made sense that you could.  Neat process. I probably have all the parts for stabilizing wood etc. laying around (sans the resin) to do it but I've never done it.  It's kinda on my list but since I haven't made a knife in a decade it's going to be a while.  Make a nice reel seat too.

Mark, how hard are the stabilized teeth?  I wonder if you could make stripping guide inserts out pieces of stabilized tooth.  A matching reel seat with all custom nickel hardware could look amazing on a bamboo rod.

Swamp

1 hour ago, vicente said:

Could stabilize cast under pressure and make knife handles with it too here's some whitetail deer one of the guys i get material from did.

50 minutes ago, Swamp Fly said:

That's pretty much what I was alluding to.  Had not seen the hair scales before but it made sense that you could.  Neat process. I probably have all the parts for stabilizing wood etc. laying around (sans the resin) to do it but I've never done it.  It's kinda on my list but since I haven't made a knife in a decade it's going to be a while.  Make a nice reel seat too.

Mark, how hard are the stabilized teeth?  I wonder if you could make stripping guide inserts out pieces of stabilized tooth.  A matching reel seat with all custom nickel hardware could look amazing on a bamboo rod.

Swamp

I have done knife handle scales with wolf hide and moose hide. I have lots of mammoth ivory, it seems like making a handle out of his hair would be a step down. I'm going to tie a fly with this stuff.

Looking forward to it. 🙂

Swamp

11 hours ago, Swamp Fly said:

Swamp

The things I don't have or really the space to set up but are necessary are vacuum chambers and a pump, without a decent amount of vacuum it's pretty hard to get the resin all the way through.

I haven't done very much mammoth tooth/ivory but the little that I have was basically like stone for the most part.

16 hours ago, DarrellP said:

I wonder if you can dye it.  Long streamers?

I've been playing with the stuff some and it seems most of the fibers are short, only a couple of inches long. Also, the are quit wiry like pig hair.

12 hours ago, Swamp Fly said:

Swamp

Swamp, Mammoth tooth would be fine for a reel seat but probably not for the guides. The tooth material is made of alternate layers of hard and soft material, enamel, dentin and pith. I'm sure it would be abrasive on fly line.

12 hours ago, Swamp Fly said:

Swamp

Stabilizing of the teeth is quite commonly done, in fact it's necessary to keep it from falling apart. We use it often in knife making and it would make nice reel seats. Guides, not so much.

7 hours ago, Capt Bob LeMay said:

Why do I think your first effort will be called a Bird's nest?

It does look awfully bird nesty.

This is my first attempt.

A woolly mammoth nymph on a size 14 hook.

DSCF5205.jpg

The hair is somewhat wiry and translucent with some iridescence and sparkle.

That's pretty awesome Mark looks like it will definitely be a fish catcher, I wonder if their would be a market for them online, obviously at a higher than normal price point per fly.

21 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

This is honest to goodness mammoth hair. I'm going to tie some flies with it, now all I need is some dodo bird feathers.

Are you sure? I'm thinking you shaved and...... ;)

18 minutes ago, vicente said:

That's pretty awesome Mark looks like it will definitely be a fish catcher, I wonder if their would be a market for them online, obviously at a higher than normal price point per fly.

I'm not sure, right now, I'm happy just having them.

Next, the woolly mammoth bugger and the woolly mammoth worm.