Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
The Mad Duck

Today...Quality Over Quantity

It was a beautiful day today. Highs in the mid 70's, light, sporadic clouds and winds under 20 knots. I stopped at the medium sized pond first today. I caught 6 fish in short time, but they were all much smaller than I've been catching, but still, on a 3 wt, not a shabby fight.m I moved to the large pond and went down a bank I usually dont fish much due to a bunch of downed trees and being almost impossible to fish. Magically, trees were gone. The piles of sawdust and pile of wood at the top of the hill were a dead giveaway that someone bad been working...hard. So I worked the bank and caught a few more Bream, nothing to write home about.

I moved to the bank that has been producing and immediately caught, NOTHING. I worked my way down the whole bank, and....NOTHING. This never happens in this pond. I made several fly changes and several dropper changes to no avail. I made the turn to the next bank and flipped the fly next to a small grass mat, and BAM, a bass came out from under the mat and crushed the dropper. A Bass weighing 3/4 pound +/- took off on my 3Wt. I eased him to the bank and released him. I moved up the bank and resumed catching nothing.A bout 3/4 of the way down the bank, I noticed a stump that I hadn't seen before. Now, this side of the pond is backed up against a tree line and its hard to make a cast. I sidearmed a cast to the stump and a hole in the water opened up and my white cricket pattern was gone and we were on. This was a larger fish and it took several runs to get him to the bank. I estimated this fish a pound and a half to 3/4. BY this time in the session, I usually have caught 20-30 Bream, but,  hadn't caught any in the larger pond yet. I finished the long bank and moved to the last stumpy area of the pond. I made a few casts and saw some signs of life and I had a couple of immediate swirls. The third cast and I saw a flash underwater and my hopper disappeared as a fish hit the dropper and took off. I knew this was a Bream and a nice one. He made several big circles and finally came to the bank. This fish is the biggest Bream I have caught in this pond..ever! I didnt have a tape with me, so I laid it on a rock, snapped a photo and marked the rock with its length. I released him back into the pond. I walked up to the kennel office and got a tape measure and went back and measured the marks on the rock....11 inches! I was happy with that fish and it was quite the pull. I started walking back around the pond and managed to catch Nothing else. I was almost back to the truck and saw something dimple the water. I made a cast and saw that flash under the water and immediately felt weight. It felt like another big bream,but it had a different feel to it. A couple of runs into the weed mats and I finally pulled up a BIG shellcracker. Again, no tape measure, so I photographed it and took a length of line and cut it off at the length of the fish. I packed up all of my stuff and went back to the kennel office to use the tape measure again. That Shellcracker was 12.25 inches long. This was the biggest shellcracker I had caught there. Two personal best fish for that particular pond and two nice Bass made for a great day.

IMG-3548.jpg

IMG-3549.jpg

IMG-3550.jpg

IMG-3551.jpg

IMG-3554.jpg

IMG-3556_(1).jpg

lol..To give you some scale, The white fly in the photo of the bream on the rock is just a shade over an inch long and the dropper in the mouth of the Shellcracker is roughly a half inch long. Its a #12 scud hook

37 minutes ago, The Mad Duck said:

lol..To give you some scale, The white fly in the photo of the bream on the rock is just a shade over an inch long and the dropper in the mouth of the Shellcracker is roughly a half inch long. Its a #12 scud hook

You know I'm kidding, those are nice fish. I'm jealous.

When I was a kid -and fishing those kind of places... I'd have danced all the way home after an outing like that... Great report and some fine fishing... 

9 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

You know I'm kidding, those are nice fish. I'm jealous.

Indeed I do. 😋 I really love having this place to run away to,but really wish I could get my kayak in the water for this spring run of white Bass and everything else we're missing at the larger lakes. I'll be a happy camper when more of our ramps and the coastal areas open back up. Until then, I'll be pounding these ponds

Anyone notice on the photo of the second Bass that he had been caught fairly recently? Note the hole in the top of his mouth. I couldn't 100% guarantee it ,but its about the size of a Bass I caught a couple of weeks ago on a chatter-bait and in close proximity to where I caught it as well.