Fly Tying
TIER

What should I tie next?

On my new YouTube channel The Fly Tying Freak I post every day. I am quickly running out of ideas. Do you guys have anything you want me to tie? If you do please feel free to tell me.

Patterns I have already done:

Parachute adams

Pheasant tail nymph

woolly bugger

egg sucking leech 

tiger rockfish imitation

Tomorrow's video might be a jig tying video. I'm all out of ideas after that. If I knew how to do a flounder imitation I would do that.

i once was going to do a class on buggers all types small, large,jumbo, conehead, leadeye,masked [helmet] flash bugger, rubber legged bugger ,floating bugger ,popping bugger, articulated bugger . and from a teaching standpoint it would be repeating with a twist .

Just google "popular fly patterns" and pick the ones you like the most. You should do what you want to do, something that intrigues you, not what someone else wants you to do.

If it were me I'd do some classics like Gold Rib Hairs Ears and Light Cahills because, they are classics and they are building blocks to other more complicated flies.

By far, the most popular flies will be panfish/bass flies and classic trout flies because that's what most people fish, so if you want a national following, do those. Very few people fish for deep sea fish so you may not get as big a following if you do those.

Good luck.

Go with something that isn't overly complicated practice your video including filming a few times before you do it, expect to re film the one you intend to post multiple times.  If you're apologizeing for camera angle in the first 30 seconds you need to restart,  the video, angle, lighting, focus etc are far more important than the fly you're choosing to tie.

Instead of trying to produce one video a day of lesser quality how about striving to produce one quality video every other week or monthly. You can use the in between time to think about what's next, become a subject matter expert on whats next, gather the materials, organize your materials and tools and your editing. You seem to go from 1 right to 10 skipping 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9. If you want likes and subscribers your going to have to hit every number 1 through 10. Again, slow down, take your time, complete 1 perfectly before going to 2 and so on. 

It's been raised elsewhere by many that Fly Anglers Online has a really nice "how to" series that takes you through a series of flies with increasing levels of difficulty, beginner through advanced. It's SBS's and written commentary, no video. I believe the author has since passed away and the FAOL website continues the posting. It's quite good.

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/beginners/archive.php

A good project (I think) would be to create a video series showing (in your own words) each of the ties and techniques, and giving your own thought / comments in audio that might add something to the FAOL series. Your audience being those who are following that guide and might want a video to supplement it. As you get better at it you could go back and redo or improve the videos that you no longer find up to the task.

I'm not sure if the FAOL would approve, or if you even need or should get their approval, but you could certainly ask for their ok, or at least ask if they have any problem with you doing it, and maybe they'll even link your video series as you get better.

Just a thought. If you think it's stupid, ignore it; if you like it it's yours to run with.

From your first photo to your most recent video ... you've been getting criticism about the fuzzy lack of quality.  You've been getting suggestions how to fix things, suggestions how to make better videos, suggestions how to tie better flies.

From all appearances, you've taken NONE of those suggestions to heart.  You're still producing crap, tying crap and posting crap.  I started out hoping you'd take the time, listen to the advice you've been given and improve.  But no, you haven't.

I know this is harsh, but pandering to your young self esteem with false praise isn't going to help.  I won't subscribe to your channel because I've seen no improvement.  There are too many other channels from people and kids who ARE trying to improve, for me to spend time watching one who seems to be just hoping for subscribers to get money from YouTube.

I hope you don't listen to that, TIER. Some adults with small lives like to kill the dreams of kids with big aspirations. 

Some days I get frustrated at James because we have all tried to help him and he just seems to ignore our advise. Other days, I just say, what the heck, it's his own loss or gain. Problem is James, people will quit trying to help you.

I think your flies and photography have gotten a tiny bit better. I have trouble watching your videos very much at all. I can say one thing positive about them, you are enthusiastic.

People are busy, even during this time of isolation. Their time is valuable so if you want people to watch your videos, and like them, you need to take the time to do a good job on them, and get better on every one you do.

I don't feel right "liking" anything unless I really like it.

32 minutes ago, chugbug27 said:

I hope you don't listen to that, TIER. Some adults with small lives like to kill the dreams of kids with big aspirations. 

Completely the opposite of my intent.  The last thing I want to do is kill a kids dreams.  BUT ... when he still only has a couple dozen subscribers a year from now, because he hasn't attempted to make BETTER video, how does that help him achieve his dreams?

There are two people I subscribe to online.  Both of them now make enough money from YouTube that that IS their job.  THey didn't get there making fuzzy, jerky, bad videos.

I agree chug, it was harsh but children are better served by telling them what they NEED  to hear, not what they WANT to hear. Personally I don't find being a YouTube star a big aspiration but if that's what's important to Tier I'm all for helping, if I can. By saying everything is roses, you are not helping him to fulfill his aspirations one single iota. In fact your doing the opposite and setting him up for failure.  I think he can and will do better if HONEST constructive criticism is offered and accepted. He is free to accept or reject any advise, no matter how harsh or rosy. His success or failure will be based on his choices.

18 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Just google "popular fly patterns" and pick the ones you like the most. You should do what you want to do, something that intrigues you, not what someone else wants you to do.

If it were me I'd do some classics like Gold Rib Hairs Ears and Light Cahills because, they are classics and they are building blocks to other more complicated flies.

By far, the most popular flies will be panfish/bass flies and classic trout flies because that's what most people fish, so if you want a national following, do those. Very few people fish for deep sea fish so you may not get as big a following if you do those.

Good luck.

+1 on the classics. Royal Wolfe comes to mind as does elk hair caddis. Not a classic but Dave's hopper has some interesting technique.

Plus you could tie a Pheasant Tail nymph. That video is not a Pheasant Tail. A pheasant tail nymph has a herl tail and body from the fibers of the 2 center feathers of a pheasant's tail. There is no dubbing involved in making the body. https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.flytying.ro%2Fclassic-pheasant-tail-nymph-2%2F&psig=AOvVaw0xFglLxDhtjyTA2N5w-5WC&ust=1588032200151000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCPilspSnh-kCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAD

That is a google image search link, it will take you to a picture of a PT.

Guys, I am trying. Literally all i have is a gopro. I do take your advice, or at least it try to. I don't have any kind of lighting source in my room, so i do it outside. But, them main problem is the background, and the ways you tell me to do i can't do. I'm sorry.

Also, i need better editing software. But the main thing is gear, okay? I will acquire that when i can. But you have to admit for the lack for gear, i am not making that bad of videos.

And more importantly, most of you guys are adults.

Basically, to sum it up, I am trying my hardest to follow your advice, but it is a little hard with my gear right now. It will change soon.

But i started this thread for ideas, not to start world war III.

9 minutes ago, TIER said:

Guys, I am trying. Literally all i have is a gopro. I do take your advice, or at least it try to. I don't have any kind of lighting source in my room, so i do it outside. But, them main problem is the background, and the ways you tell me to do i can't do. I'm sorry.

Also, i need better editing software. But the main thing is gear, okay? I will acquire that when i can. But you have to admit for the lack for gear, i am not making that bad of videos.

And more importantly, most of you guys are adults.

Basically, to sum it up, I am trying my hardest to follow your advice, but it is a little hard with my gear right now. It will change soon.

But i started this thread for ideas, not to start world war III.

I will send an Amazon gift card for you to get this book.  You are on the right track, by PLANNING, as this thread shows.  

You asked for advice, you are getting it. No one is on a war of words  here.

You can do much better with the resources you already have, don’t make excuses, fix the problems you can when you can, and keep WORKING at it.  

You have the potential to be very good at this.  Keep moving forward!6441BFB1-79D7-4E16-AA97-FF44FDA9C737.jpeg