Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
TIER

What should I tie next?

i still want to post them fairly frequently. 2 videos a week?

In my opinion, if it takes two weeks to do one well, then take two weeks. The arbitrary number you are trying to pick out of thin air means nothing. Why bother if you can't do a good job.

2 minutes ago, TIER said:

i still want to post them fairly frequently. 2 videos a week?

If you have the time to do it right, look at mcflys videos on you tube he's a member here,  he does some really great videos he doesn't produce them super frequently but one if his is going to be watched 20 times (at least) more than yours and generate an even higher amount of followers compared to your videos, people might watch a badly or ok made video once to learn how to tie a fly, they won't follow you though make a good video people will absolutely watch a wellmade video to tie the fly, they will follow the maker because he made a good video and they'll want to go back to him for others, for people like me who use you tube but don't have an account we will recognize makers we do a good video quickly and pick them over others first.

2 minutes ago, Mark Knapp said:

In my opinion, if it takes two weeks to do one well, then take two weeks. The arbitrary number you are trying to pick out of thin air means nothing. Why bother if you can't do a good job.

Yep, everything costs the same on YouTube, if you had to pay the same price for a crappy Chinese knife or one of Marks which would you choose?

I look at Mark's knives enviously lol

First time I saw one, first thought was "That's beautiful, wish I had room for a new craft obsession" Second "No way I can afford that"

If you want to do one every day and have the time and energy I don't see why not.

It's really hard to tie a different new fly every day and do it well. What if you tied the same fly and did a video every day of the progress?  Once you get the fly done well enough to move on, then move on to the next one.

Or do one every day and then go back and re-do the ones you feel you can improve upon.

If you want to learn how to tie better along the way the FAOL lesson site will give you a good progression of flies to improve your skills as you go. Or just do the flies you like, that works, too.

Chug,

AMEN.

TIER, speaking of cutting wire with tying scissors being a big no-no, I can send you a couple podiatry scalpels for thread cutting and a pair of side cutters for wire. I also have a bag of glow-rubber rubber legs and a few other materials I will never use, which I think you could put to good use. You pay shipping, but that's not bad. I will only send the scalpels with your parents' permission; they are incredibly sharp and a wicked sharp blade like that, if it slips, will do as it was designed and made to do and slice right through flesh with no hitch. Also, they are easy to misplace. They can't be left lying around.

Tier,

No one is saying you should stop tying. In fact, they really are telling you to tie more and greatly encourage it. You just don't need to video every time you tie. It is a rite of passage for at least some of your first bugs to look like a lint ball, but those aren't the ones you video. It takes time and repetition of tying flies, and practicing specific techniques. The "youtube fly tyers" you are looking to emulate have invested large amounts of time behind the vice and have perfected their craft.

Maybe start with posting pictures of your flies and ask for suggestions on how to improve. Gradually you'll get more and more proficient and eventually produce flies worthy of videoing.

PS Many of my flies are not worth taking pictures of let alone videoing. They catch fish, but not necessarily a spectacle that people care to see/watch.  

12 hours ago, TIER said:

Guys, I am trying. Literally all i have is a gopro. I do take your advice, or at least it try to. I don't have any kind of lighting source in my room, so i do it outside. But, them main problem is the background, and the ways you tell me to do i can't do. I'm sorry.

Also, i need better editing software. But the main thing is gear, okay? I will acquire that when i can. But you have to admit for the lack for gear, i am not making that bad of videos.

And more importantly, most of you guys are adults.

Basically, to sum it up, I am trying my hardest to follow your advice, but it is a little hard with my gear right now. It will change soon.

But i started this thread for ideas, not to start world war III.

It's not your age, camera gear, lighting  or your tying tools. In fact the gear and tools are the least of the problem. You have everything needed to produce a video a hundred times better. You have everything needed to tie a fly. If you want likes and followers do not produce a video every day, every other day, or every week. First take the time to learn both fly tying and videography. Apply the lessons you learn in these areas to each succeeding video or fly. 

You need to acquire and organize your materials and scissors better. You need to stop doing things wrong and then informing everybody your doing it wrong. And most importantly, if your going to do a video on a well known time honored battle tested fly then your going to actually have to learn how to tie that fly perfectly and easily. Practice, practice, and more practice, tying that pattern a hundred times before turning the camera on. That is what I mean by saying you have to be a subject matter expert first. It is the content of your videos and not the gear or tools. Your content should be first and foremost if you want likes and subscribers. The gear will come in time and that time is not yet here. 

You need to accept critism rather then turning a blind eye to any opinion that does not heap praise. Everybody is trying to help in their own special ways. Some give honest hard hitting critiques while others offer encouragement so you don't lose your ambition. Both have their merits and their faults. It's encumbant you accept and learn from criticism and praise, paying particular attention to the criticism if you want mass appeal. 

I think your funny and you definitely  have the desire and enthusiasm for it. Build on those attributes as you continue working on your content. Nobody starts at the top. Those on the top worked hard perfecting what they do. Forget posting one video a day, every other day, or every week. Your goal is to produce a watchable video that the masses will like and thus subscribe to your channel. One really good video a month will get you more likes and subscribers then 30 videos of flies tied with poor or no technique that nobody can recognize. Nobody is saying you can't make a video a day, that's what one would call practice, but that doesn't mean you have to put your practice video on your channel. Post to your channel only the best of the 30. 

All right, how about this, If i make a video that i think people will like, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Au7oYuFv4bA&t=35s

I will post it. Look in the comments. Not very often do I get that.

Chugbug, The red tag will be my next video promise

And yes, Mr. Knapp, and Poopdeck, I did tie it many times to get it right. 5 times to be exact.

If I had some fly tying foam I would show you all how to tie a yeager's neversink caddis.

Mark Knapp, In a PM you asked me to tie a stimulator, and I said I couldn't due to the incorrect hooks. Well, turns out I have some good hooks for the job. That will be the next video.