Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Dennis71

Tying Squrrel Fur To Trebble Hooks

This is my first time using a forum.

I am a avid northern pike angler.

I'm trying to replace the squirrel fur and/or customize the color of fur on the treble hooks of my (Mepps) spinners.  

I've watched several videos of being done.

For my first try(s), I used a thread that is nylon none-stretch. But I'm having trouble with the fur twisting around the shaft when I'm wrapping the thread.   

Is the twisting happening because I am not using the right kind of thread?  If so, what brand/size should I get?

I noticed a glue was being used.  What brand/type would work?

Also, can anyone give me recommended size/brand thread-bobbin?

Welcome to the forum.  I do fix up work on spinners for my fishing buddies and myself.   Even planning on making a few for them.  When I replace tattered squirrel hair, I usually do it with some sort of artificial flash material.   I find it lasts longer than hair.   I use a clear polyester thread I buy in the sewing section of the craft stores to wrap the material on the treble.     Below a treble hook, it sounds like you're trying to wrap all the material on the hook, that's why it's twisting on you.  What I do is put a light coat of super glue on the hook shank, then wrap a base of thread from the eye on the shank to the hook point.  One of the reasons I use the flash material is I can trim it to length after it's tied in.  You're using hair.  So cut off the amount of hair that you want to use for the whole hook.  Then divide into thirds.  Take one bunch and lay it on the hook shank below the hook eye.  The tips of the hair will be between the two hooks. Wrap it down with your thread to the hook points.  I usually use a light coat of super glue.  If you have rotary vise, just rotate the hook, repeat the process till the three gaps are filled.  If you don't have a rotary vise,  you can take the hook out of the vise, turn it and put it back in the vise.  Wrap enough thread to cover the material.  Either use a half hitch or whip finish to tie it off.   I add another coat of super glue to make sure secure.  Then I use UV resin for the final coat.   You could use any clear nail polish or head cement for the coat.   Tomorrow I'll take some pictures  if I can and post them.    

What size trebles are you tying on?    The thread I'm using would be equivalent to 8/0 thread.  You don't really need a heavy thread.  You don't want a big ball of wrap on the hook shank where it could interfere with the hooking ability.   I use super glue.  Brands of thread or bobbins I really can't help you with.  I've had mine a while and have long forgotten the brands.  I sure someone else will reply and give you better information than I could.

2020 Fishhooks Saltwater Fishing Hook Black Nickle Treble Hooks 1 ...

It's twisting because your letting it. First off tying trebles is a bitch and working with squirrel tail can be a bitch. If your just tying one color let it spin and it will cover all the way around the hook. Or you can tie in three seperate smaller clumps. YouTube a pinch wrap. Make sure your removing any fluff from the butt end. 

since I stick the hook points in my fingers so often on small trebles I prefer putting the hair on at one time. Get a clump of hair, pull out the fuzz and short hairs from the butt ends, make two or three lose wraps and then pull straight up to tighten the wraps and spin the hair around the shank. If it's not even simply push down with your thumb to evenly spread the hair around the shank. Make a couple tight wraps then coat butt ends in super glue, Sally Hanson, head cement or whatever glue you have. You want the glue to get into the butt ends so don't completely cover the butts at first. After putting a couple drops of glue on the butts and initial thread wraps Clean the head up with however many tight wraps you need to cover the butt ends and give it a nice tapered "head."  Tie it off and then put a coat of Sally Hansons over the thread wraps. If it's a large treble and I'm using bucktail I'll put it in in three clumps. 

i don't know what a non stretch nylon thread is. Different people like different thread. I like to use ultra thread for trebles because it does not build up as fast as other threads. Depending on the size of the treble I will use 70 and 140. squirrel tail ain't long so 70 would probably work just as well. if your breaking the thread go up to 140.

Resist the idea that the bigger the hook the bigger the thread. Your thread just needs to be strong enough to secure the hair and/or build bulk. If your spinning it you may want the 140 but 70 works just as well you just can't pull it as tight before it breaks. If your laying it in with three clumps 70 would be fine.

As for a bobbin, it only holds a spool of thread. There is nothing technical, refined or precise about what a bobbin does. I say get any old bobbin you can find as long as it has a ceramic insert. Don't buy one that just has a metal tube. I have a hoard of cheap 5.00 Terra bobbins. If your so inclined, there is nothing wrong with getting a 50.00 bobbin. Just make sure you get one with a ceramic insert. 

Heres a video from the Mepps factory. I think they way overdress their trebles though. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=M3pGcPXjqS8

16 hours ago, Dennis71 said:

This is my first time using a forum.

I am a avid northern pike angler.

I'm trying to replace the squirrel fur and/or customize the color of fur on the treble hooks of my (Mepps) spinners.  

I've watched several videos of being done.

For my first try(s), I used a thread that is nylon none-stretch. But I'm having trouble with the fur twisting around the shaft when I'm wrapping the thread.   

Is the twisting happening because I am not using the right kind of thread?  If so, what brand/size should I get?

I noticed a glue was being used.  What brand/type would work?

Also, can anyone give me recommended size/brand thread-bobbin?

You want the fur to twist around the hook so the squirrel tail is evenly distribute around the treble hook. Play the video below and it will show how the squirrel tail spins around the hook