Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Poopdeck

Swapping rods and reels

Spin fishing question here. Does anybody buy multiple rods to pair with a single reel? I have been going through my stuff and I think I would like to get another surf rod for plugging. I have many Penn , SSV's, battle, clash, and slammers reels in the 3500 to 8500 size. So I'm thinking I'll get a 10' st. Croix and pair it with a 4500 or 5500 SSV. As I looked at my rods I have plenty of reels on boat rods that would work fantastically on a plugging surf rod. So why am I always buying a new reel for every rod.  All of a sudden  it's not making sense to me to buy another 200 to 400 dollar reel and 50 dollars of line when that same reel and line is sitting at home, in a rack, on a boat rod when I'm out with the surf rod. Heck I even have specific catfish rods with penn reels on them and I only go catfishing a couple times a year. 

So my question is does anybody have more rods then reels and just swap the reels out to different rods for different types of fishing. 

I do have a few more reels than I have rods ... because it seems easier to break rods.  At the moment, though, I don't have a lot of either.  Several years ago, I had a large number of my conventional gear in my van.  I must've left the rear door unlocked, because they were stolen.  I didn't replace them ... I just went to full time fly fishing.

I still have a couple spinning combos and a couple of level wind combos.  And I have an extra or two of each kind of reel.  I won't buy a new reel unless I use up what I've got.

Direct answer to your question:  No, I don't swap reels from one rod to another and back again.  I also don't have "game specific" rods of any kind.

I don't do it for conventional fishing but I do have multiple reels for fly fishing. In my 8s, 9s and 10s I have reels with full floating, medium and full sinking lines so I don't have to waste time changing out lines. And when I go to the deep salt I bring several reels as back-ups so I don't loose time when a line breaks. That seems to happen a lot for us in the deep salt.

It seems like a "reel" good idea to do what you're suggesting for economic and other logistical reasons.

What, not even game specific rods? I have specific rods for shad fishing, catfishing, general freshwater like bass and walleye, trout rods, stripers in the river, stripers in the ocean, stripers and blues from the surf, stripers and blues from the boat, flounder, drum, I think you get my point.  Today I finally had an Epiphany as I wondered why I need a Penn SSV or Slammer 5500 on a rod in my hand on the beach or bank while I have three others hanging from boat rods in my basement rack. And since my fishing is so varied it's not like each rod and reel is being abused or well worn. 

Nice play on reel Mark. it makes so much sense that I wish I had this epiphany years ago but when it gets right down to it I'll probably buy another rod and reel. I'm going to try not to but old habits are hard to break. I also feel a need or a want to drop some coin at the last remaining family run tackle shop in my area when our governor comes to his senses. 

I plan to use the same reel for my 6 wt as I do my 4wt, my conventional gear all has it's own real, I really don't own more than one or two rods in very a similar sizes the duplicates are basically mine and my wife's.

I have a few extra reels,  but i was given several old mitchells with bad bail springs,   Going to convert them to bailless when i can get the kits

Do you have any Bailess reels now? I'm trying to understand what a Bailess reel brings to the table. A lot of the surf casting experts use bailess reels. 

Im really going to try not buying another reel with the surf pole I'm getting impatient to buy. I'm refusing to buy it online. In fact I'm  Refusing to buy anything on line right now. It's my little protest to the shutdown but I really want the pole. This is shaping up to be a battle of will. 

7 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

This is shaping up to be a battle of will. 

As in ... WILL he or WON'T he?

12 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Do you have any Bailess reels now? I'm trying to understand what a Bailess reel brings to the table. A lot of the surf casting experts use bailess reels. 

Im really going to try not buying another reel with the surf pole I'm getting impatient to buy. I'm refusing to buy it online. In fact I'm  Refusing to buy anything on line right now. It's my little protest to the shutdown but I really want the pole. This is shaping up to be a battle of will. 

I was curious about this bailess thing so I Googled it. This video answers some of your questions.

Interesting. I think I'll keep the bail. I have noticed the wetsuit crowd seem to prefer bailess though. 

I have two presently,  an old penn 650 ss that i converted and a star 8000s that came with a manual bail and a bailless kit.    Supposedly the bailless setup is designed to prevent accidental breakoffs.    It works well but takes practice and night fishing with it is out for me as i can’t verify its laying line right.    I use the manual bail at night as it wont close until you flip the bail down manually.    

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Rods-S8000-Spinning-Reel/dp/B07S3FP2Q1

“Multiple rods for a single reel”. Sure, why not? 

I have a bunch of ultralight spinning reels and an even bigger collection of rods to swap on. Ranging from 10ft. jigging rods, to 2 ft. dock demons.. including everything from nice graphite to cinderella. 

When I’m night time speck fishing, I’ll bring 6-8 short cheepo’s to fish under lights near the boat.  
Not necessarily having them all in the water at once, but with that many laying around the boat, it’s not hard to step, lean, or neal on some. And the fact that the little fiberglass kiddie rods are indestructible have made them my favorite bobber rods. 

Those same reels get used on other rods for peacock bass fishing or casting beetle spins or jigging jigs. 

But hey, you can never have too much fishing tackle! I NEED some new baitcaster combos to replace the 3 that have ridden many miles in the back of my truck. But they still work fine, even with the scratches and peeling finish. You usually get what you pay for, to a certain extent, with tackle and to replace these 3 would be the first payment on my oldest kids braces...that’ll be coming soon. 

With casting, spinning, and spin-cast rods, each decent rod has it’s own reel.

Fly rods, having a lot of them, I switch out reels often.  To avoid spooling or unspooling line I have, more recently, looked for reels with extra spools, one example being an Okuma Sierra set for 3,4,5 and 6 weights.   These days only a cheap 2 weight and a 12 weight- Salt outfit have their own discrete reels in my hoard.

Yep, currently all my rods have a reel but like I said it don't make sense to be out surf casting with a 10' rod with its own Slammer reel while there's a few other slammers, a couple SS's and an assortment of clashes, battles and bait runners hanging from boat rods in the basement. As an added benifit I have all the various lb test line covered between all the reels and many of them are the perfect size for a surf plugging rod. I even have a rodless Penn 850 new in the box that I won in a raffle but that would be way to big for a plug rod. Im so conflicted. What to do?

The 850/950 are monsters,  make great small tuna reels.   You could see if someone will swap for a smaller reel.   I had a 950 but ended up selling it as i could not justify keeping it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this