Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Grampa

Question about A.K. Best

Did A.K. ever get his tying tools business off the ground? I remember his adds in Flyfisherman magazine but never saw them in catalogs.

Edited by Jacks Grampa
typo

I own an A.K. Best vise.  The design is great, except the jaws are made of a metal too soft to really hold a hook very well, and the word got out.  I think he probably lost a bundle in the venture.

After I posted I checked ebay and found a pair of tweezers of his. His facebook page hasn't been active in 3 years but at that time he was in Bozeman MT. Sorry about the vise.

On the off chance that you are interested,  you can purchase flies tied by A.K. at southcreekltd dot com. You can mix them up but you need to purchase at least a dozen.  I got a bunch several years ago. The cost is reasonable considering they are tied by a master and advocate of the craft. 

I have a pair of his squeeze snips which are wiss just in green with his logo,  have served me well for 25 years.   And the blades are replacable/able to be sharpened.   Definitely worth whatever i paid in 1995

I had heard that his vise had some issues as well; however, his hair stackers are excellent!  I have the large and small versions.

akbeststacker.jpg

Some guy on ebay is trying to get rich on RARE ak best tying tools,   1500 for two hair stackers and 1 set of tweezers.    Good luck to him.

I saw the tweezers for a bargain of only $499.99. I read everything he wrote and learned a lot. I remember him writing that he doesn't really have a pattern down until he's tied a hundred dozen.

1500 for two hair stackers and 1 set of tweezers. 

That's nuts!  I mean they are well made but they are just hair stackers.